Looking for a good cobbler.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 22 November 2008 9.48pm
I have a few pairs of old suede shoes which need proper polishing. The soles need changing too otherwise they are nice pairs of shoes and also very comfortable. A lot of cobblers refused the challenge of polishing suede shoes. Can anyone recommend a good cobbler who can repair and polish them as good as new?
Sunday 23 November 2008 10.36am
I used to go to Cobblers Nest, but the guy there made a right Horlicks of one pair of shoes I took him, so whereas I used to recommend him I'm now wary of doing so. There is a place on Goodge St (not local, I know) called Fifth Avenue where there are experienced menders who do a good job, but they're not cheap. In any case, do you really want to polish your suede, rather than shampooing it?
Sunday 23 November 2008 7.13pm
I bought this spray from Clarks. I sprayed on them and brushed them off according to the instruction. That could well be shampooing/polishing (I know nothing about shoe cleaning) altogether but it just wasn't good enough. I know a good cobbler will be able to make my shows just as new. They are expensive pairs, lasted me years at work, superbly comfortable and not a single hole on them other than requiring new soles and professional cleaning. I shall google Fifth Avenue to find out where it is. Many thanks.
Monday 24 November 2008 7.16am
Again, not local, and not cheap (though not outrageous) but I trust my Church's to him; on Paddington St W1, off the Marylebone High St.
Monday 24 November 2008 10.18am
Try City Cobbler - 215 City Road - 020 7251 8658. Again, not local but I've always found them to be good, and for advice too. Decent cobblers are few and far between.
Monday 24 November 2008 10.23pm
Well, I should try all cobblers this weekend with a pair each and see whose the best. Cheers.
Tuesday 25 November 2008 11.19am
the guys on lower marsh are very good - not sure if they will be up for your challenge but i've always found their workmanship very good. Same cannot be said for the one in Milroy Walk below IPC - avoid.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: