Between The Bridges A Photo Essay On Webber St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 23 November 2008 8.52pm
I'm working on a photographic essay on Webber Street, and how it changes from the west end at The Cut, down to the east end on Southwark Bridge Road. The essay will focus more on the people who live and work on Webber Street, rather then the architecture and the street itself, but all aspects will be covered.

I'm in the beginning stages of the project and right now I am just after some information, and resources. I will be looking for subjects to interview and photograph starting in December, and continuing into the new year.

If you have any information, or an interesting story about Webber street, its history, or its present please get in touch.
Sunday 23 November 2008 9.51pm
It is a fascinating street.

There is a tradition on Webber Street that you need never be more than ten metres from the nearest hole in the road.

They are moved around, seemingly at random, by mysterious creatures called "Morrisons", which leave their rectangular and conical droppings in the street as the only other sign of their activity.

The footpaths of Webber Street are capable of mysteriously vanishing. The stretch between Great Suffolk Street and the railway bridge disappeared without warning many months ago and, magically, reappeared again in the last fortnight.

Closer to the Cut, and sometimes near the junction with Blackfriars Bridge Road, you can see members of a tribe which worships cylindrical purple objects in their vibrant and noisy outdoor rituals.
Monday 24 November 2008 2.09pm
The Southwark Local History Museum should be able to tell you a lot, it is behind the John Harvard Library in Borough High St.

Some is being dug up at the moment so you could ask the lead contractor (e.g. Morrisons) if they did any archaeological study before or during that, or if they've turned anything up.

Don't know any of its history but it's a very useful thoroughfare!
Monday 24 November 2008 4.22pm
The South Local History Museum is surely temporarily closed as part of the works on the John Harvard?
Monday 24 November 2008 4.23pm
Until next summer Southwark Local History Library is offering a reduced service at Peckham Library.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 24 November 2008 4.35pm
Rambling Phil wrote:

Closer to the Cut, and sometimes near the junction with Blackfriars Bridge Road, you can see members of a tribe which worships cylindrical purple objects in their vibrant and noisy outdoor rituals.

Oh, Rambling Phil I've been trying all afternoon to think what you mean and am feeling a real numpty because I can't.

Please explain...

Aaagh, would you believe it, while previewing my post, it burst upon me like a flash that you mean cans of White Lightening or some such...

Good description :)
Tuesday 25 November 2008 11.38am
Ms Martinet - that's it.

I was referring to the glorious gospel-style song by the Alabama 3 "The Old Purple Tin", extolling the virtues of Tenants Extra (I think); the tipple of choice for al fresco drinkers through the 80s and 90s.

"The old purple tin, the old purple tin
Sweet testament, Lord, to the state that I'm in
I have drunk it all day. I have drunk it all night.
The old purple tin, oh Lord, lights up my life.
"

Has it been supplanted by a trendier, newer drink?
Tuesday 25 November 2008 12.11pm
It's Super (Tenants). Extra's a piffling 5% or somesuch.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 25 November 2008 1.21pm
Thanks for the clarification Ivanhoe.

BTW Do you think Mr Reed is getting the sort of information he needs? He's been very quiet.
Tuesday 25 November 2008 3.17pm
Chris

I have PM'd you.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: