Sirens

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 9 January 2004 12.34pm
Has anyone noticed that in recent months, noise from sirens operated by emergency vehicles travelling in the Kennington area has not only grown much louder but also much more frequent. I wonder if this is a problem in other parts of SE1. According to the Highway Code, it is illegal for motorists to sound their horn between the hours of 11pm and 7am yet it is not unusual to hear sirens sounding at 3.30am when other measures, for example, flashing blue lights, would cause less disturbance and be equally effective. Can anything be done about this?
Friday 9 January 2004 1.14pm
At Kings hospital they refer to it as the Camberwell Concerto!
Friday 16 January 2004 2.58pm
I wish there was a solution to this.
I live near a fire station in Bermondsey in addition to having my bedroom window look over Jamaica Road.
The things I would do for a quiet night's sleep...

Post edited (16 Jan 04 14:58)
Friday 16 January 2004 3.37pm
The noise that is driving me mad all through the night apart from the sweepers is the sound of the single decker bendy buses when they discharge the air brakes ? it sounds like a steel drum smashing on the pavement...and it wakes you up .hopefully they wont have many more buses of this design in london....

jan
Friday 16 January 2004 3.44pm
aren't they planning to replace all the old style double deckers (with rear jump on/jump off exits) with the bendy buses?
Friday 16 January 2004 3.55pm
Jan,

Bendy buses. Is that what that noise is? I've recently started to notice a sort of metallic bashing noise when on my scooter. The first few times I heard it I thought something had dropped of the bike!!

Tineke,

Have you had any offers yet?

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Friday 16 January 2004 6.43pm
Dave, I hope not...it is one flipping noise I can tell you, and the trouble is that it does not happen all the time. but more than enough to aggravate you. I'll have to speak to a nice friendly bus driver and ask why, what and where!

Tineke, the noise was so loud when I heard it the first time I thought a drain cover in new kent road has worked loose, so stood outside near the road trying to find out which cover it was. ( when this does happen and the lorrys drive over it 's dreadful)

Jan

p.s. dave did i not read here previously sometime back in france b.b.s were causing accidents?

jan

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: