Searching for a good butcher and/or Fishmonger near Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 25 November 2008 9.04pm
Can anyone recommend a good butcher and/or fishmonger around the Tower Bridge area?

Attempting to buy good fish from essentially a child at Tescos on Sunday was the last straw...
Jac
Tuesday 25 November 2008 11.48pm
look at the octopus thread for suggestions of fishmongers.

I use Ashbys in Crimscot street for meat. They are predominately a wholesalers but will sell to indivuals. The office is open 3am-4pm. The meat is good and i order over the phone and pick it up, You do need to know what you want as they do not have a counter.
Wednesday 26 November 2008 7.42am
There is a fish stall down the Blue , I had some smoked fish recently which was very nice.
Wednesday 26 November 2008 2.51pm
Butchers - Suffolk Meats, Great Suffolk Street. Superb famiy butchers, need to drive there from Tower Bridge area though.

I get my fish from my main man 'John The Fish' who has a stall on Tatchbrook Stret in Pimlico, just off Vauxhall Bridge Road. Not in SE1 I know, but 15 min drive and you can park for free on Saturday. Best fish I've ever had - got some lovely Black Cod this weekend, some squid and beautiful Mackrel.
Wednesday 26 November 2008 3.25pm
Muscat Butchers on Peckham Park Road, just off the OKR are excellent - outside SE1 admittedly.

And then there is Borough Market, of course. 4pm on Saturday the big fish stall goes half price.
Wednesday 26 November 2008 7.13pm
There are excellent places at Borough Market friday and Saturday. Wonderful fish shops, oyster stalls, game and general butchers.
Thursday 27 November 2008 10.44am
It is great food at Borough Market, but it's at least 25% more expensive than other places. It's great quality I know, but some things are over-priced (they get the same fish from Billingsgate as other fishmongers). Credit Cruch food shopping it's not.
Jac
Thursday 27 November 2008 5.15pm
I tend to agree with JGarcia re price of borough market food. And whilst there may be good stall shops on fri and saturday, I need to be able to buy good quaility food (in domestic not catering quantities) all week and not just at weekends. Also I need to purchase my food at the begining of the day. I have had wonderful help from Booths and the small organic stall in the market when shopping around 9o'clock in the morning on fridays but try ask turnips or furness fish for anything that early and the tell you to come back when they are open. applebys fish are helpful even before they officially open but the fish often arrives too late for me.
Thursday 27 November 2008 8.09pm
There is also a proper English butcher down the Blue as well. He is very friendly & helpful.
Monday 1 December 2008 12.05pm
Hi. Where is the Blue? Thanks
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: