Canteen at Royal Festival Hall

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
ElizabethIII Monday 1 December 2008 12.18am
Entering the 'Canteen' at RFH, I enquired if (at 2:30pm) one may just have a Latte. The man on the door rudely replied:

'If you're just have a coffee - you can sit at the bar'

I don't sit at bars on my own so I sat at a table of which there were at least four clear ones. The man approached me again and I asked for a Latte. He refused to serve me saying he needed the tables, at 2:30pm with no queue and no people to take them when lunchtime was over; it was laughable & deplorable non-service.

Neither myself or my colleagues will ever, ever enter the snobbish, rude and degrading place again.
diogenes3 Monday 1 December 2008 10.14am
I think it has been said before on this forum that the front of house at the RFH Canteen is consistently and uneccesarily rude.

It is clearly a deliberate policy, so do stay away. I do.
boroughpaul Monday 1 December 2008 12.49pm
sorry but, is it not a restaurant?? there are plenty of cafes nearby (le pain quotidien etc) if all you want is coffee
williamn Monday 1 December 2008 12.54pm
I've never found the service there to be anything but polite!
Richard Stompidou Monday 1 December 2008 5.53pm
I like the food here, and like williamn I've found the staff to be courteous on recent visits.

Having said that, it can be slow, which might be irritating if you take its name to suggest a quick turn-around. On Sunday our main courses were delayed, and a side order needed further chasing. My impression is that the system for communicating between waiting staff and kitchen buckles under pressure. But our waiter was infinitely apologetic, and volunteered to take the service charge off the bill. We were so taken aback by this that we tipped him separately.
sputnik Monday 1 December 2008 7.30pm
we've found the staff to have the attitude of not caring whether we ate there or not, no attempt to fit us in. I guess I would call that...cold? It doesn't make me feel like trying again, that's for certain.
aoibhneas Tuesday 2 December 2008 10.50am
Pure curiosity here - the original poster said she doesn't sit at bars on her own. I wondered why not?
Tolstoy Tuesday 2 December 2008 11.22pm
Because guys will think it means they can hit on her as she is obviously without a boyfriend and is therefore in need of male company.

Me on the otherhand can sit at a bar all week and noone will come and talk to me;-)
aoibhneas Wednesday 3 December 2008 11.46am
And there was me thinking I lived in the twenty-first century...

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions