Jamaica Road bus lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 1 December 2008 5.43pm
Can anyone see the advantage, and to whom, of the 24 hour bus lanes in Jamaica Road?
I can see where a case can be made for 07.00-10.00 northbound and 16.00- 19.00 southbound or some variables of those times, e.g. 07.00-11.00 or 15.00-20.00, but where is the sense of being maybe the only vehicle on the road at 03.00 and having to move out of the nearside lane?
The buses do not operate 24 hours there, and if they did they would hardly be held up by other traffic at 01.00 hours.
In my opinion this just a ploy by TfL to discourage people from driving by making their journeys unnecessarily frustrating.
I say this as a licensed "black cab" driver who can use the bus lane at all times, but has no feeling of schadenfreude, instead I have a great deal of sympathy for the captive audience watching me go by in an empty lane.
Monday 1 December 2008 7.15pm
My guess that it's simpler to do it for 24 hours? Less confusing if it's just one rule all the time rather than differing rules for different times.
Monday 1 December 2008 7.43pm
The whole thing is being simplied by TfL. Unfortunately it has been hidden a little, but its a part of the getting motor cycles into red routes.

Lets be honest though, by having a bus lane enforced 24 hours a day is not going to discourage anyone to stop driving when the other lane is free! The usual London drivers is what puts people off.
Monday 1 December 2008 10.17pm
The 24 hr bus lane continues to cause confusion when trying to turn into mill street from the outside lane (even though you have indicated to turn left). Scary stuff.
Tuesday 2 December 2008 1.37am
edruddick wrote:
Lets be honest though, by having a bus lane enforced 24 hours a day is not going to discourage anyone to stop driving when the other lane is free! The usual London drivers is what puts people off.
I am chastened by by the "we just accept it" attitude to 24 hour bus lanes by what we cab drivers refer to as you civilians.
Maybe I've been driving a cab for too long.
As a passenger in my wife's car I often get out and walk to our house in Rotherhithe when she has come to a halt at the Abbey St. junction of Jamaica Rd. in solid one lane traffic.
I am Mr. Calm all day in West End and City traffic while working, but I couldn't handle that manufactured grind that commuters have to suffer.
Tuesday 2 December 2008 9.16am
Lets face it TfL are anti-car.....there are so many examples now there is no other possible conclusion...it doesn't even seem to matter if the restrictions promote any benefit for other users it's all about making life hard for car drivers to dicourage them in the long term.
Tuesday 2 December 2008 9.45am
Fortunately, under the new mayor, TFL should be less anti-car. Abolishing the western extension of the congestion zone is a good starting point, Hurrah!
Tuesday 2 December 2008 10.11am
Having learnt to drive in London I was taught how to drive at a steady speed, fully aware of everything around me (which is a lot in London) plus able to read the text on a bus lane sign.

If the innermost lane is a bus lane it is required that you drive in it if outside its hours of operation (unless you can see it's obstructed ahead by parked vehicles). Yet most people stay out of them all the time. The bus lane signs helpfully have a variety of time/day formats...

24hrs
In force 24 Hours
At Any Time
7am-7pm
Mon-Sun 7am-7pm (er.... why not just say 7am-7pm)
7am-7pm Any day (ditto)

And countless permutations of days and times.

So in summary I doubt that TfL choose 24hr operation just to make it simple - that is not on their list of priorities.
Tuesday 2 December 2008 11.08am
Can I chuck into the mix the Mon-Sun 7am-7pm operation of the Grange Road bus lane when, outside rush hours Mon-Fri, the road is very quiet!

But, jumping on my soap box, this is a pet "when I'm in charge" topic of mine - the standardisation ACROSS LONDON of operating/enforcement times for bus lanes and parking zones etc. etc. Let me make it clear, I'm not proposing a one-size-fits-all, blanket approach because I'm more intelligent than that, and I realise that local conditions may need to prevail in certain hotspots BUT something which meant - say - that parking restrictions are only ever A or B or C or D, not some random variation (A, but + half an hour on Fridays when there's an R in the month), would really make everyone's lives easier.

I would also introduce a Congestion Charge "amnesty zone" for people who drive into it by mistake, but then turn straight around and exit!

Of course, the conspiracy theorist in me says it's not in the interests of local authorities and TfL to do this, because of the reduction in their revenue that would result!
Tuesday 2 December 2008 12.58pm
urbanite wrote:
Lets face it TfL are anti-car.....there are so many examples now there is no other possible conclusion...it doesn't even seem to matter if the restrictions promote any benefit for other users it's all about making life hard for car drivers to dicourage them in the long term.
You got that right brother, no argument there.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: