Final Furlong pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 12 January 2004 1.06pm
Anyone know what's happening here- major revamp (new roof etc)by looks of things?
Monday 12 January 2004 1.18pm
I have it from a very good source that....

...Terence Conran and Rene Zelwegger have bought it, after fighting off strong bidding from Tom Cruise.

They're going to turn it into a "21st century gathering-place with an eclectic take on the traditional London fare of eel, pie, and mash".

See website: www.eelmeetagain.co.uk

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 12 January 2004 3.29pm

where is the Final Furlong pub (he says ignorantly) ?
Monday 12 January 2004 10.06pm
The pub is (slowly) being demolished and will be replaced by 26 flats and a cafe/bar. Hurrah ....

(It's on Grange Rd, next to Spa Park, right on the edge of SE1).
Tuesday 27 January 2004 1.58pm
The pub is now a heap of rubble, seems only last week that it was pumping kareoke! Northernboy- where did you find out the replacement details.
Tuesday 27 January 2004 6.14pm
Bobby De Niro told him

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 27 January 2004 6.54pm
Until the beginning of this year, we lived in the flats behind the pub. For 4 years our weekends were ruined by the discos running until 1am every Saturday and Sunday morning which we could hear in all our rooms even with all the windows closed (2 small children meant our chances of sleeping in the next morning to make up for it were zero). OK, so maybe we shouldn't have bought a flat next to a pub, but then we never imagined it would be open so late and hold ear-splitting discos which the Council was unable to control. When they finally lost their entertainments licence, and applied for permission to build flats we, not surprisingly, wrote to support the application, which is how we knew what was planned. However, we only really belived it would finally be knocked down when one of the guys working on the demolition told us that it was actually coming down - too late for us as it was the week we were moving out ! Still, it's improved the area for all the others who suffered all those sleepless nights !

Tuesday 27 January 2004 8.25pm
I came home late one night a couple of years ago to find the Final Furlong cordoned off and surrounded by police cars and an ambulance. I asked one of the policemen what was going on, but he wouldn't say. So I asked if we if we were in any danger (there were so many police there that it seemed far more serious than just a ruck - I thought there was a bomb threat or something) and he just sniggered, pointed at a girl and said, "Not unless you're her boyfriend - she's just tried to cut off his knob."

Nice place...
Wednesday 28 January 2004 12.18pm
I was just about to post a thread that said 'What's happened to that dreadful pub with the noisy discos at the junction of Spa Road & Grange Road.' Well now I know!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: