Mugging St Thomas Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 5 December 2008 7.48pm
On Monday evening at about 10.30 I saw a young woman on the pavement near the junction with Weston Street. A man was pulling her bag from her hands and kicking her in the face. He ran off with the bag. When I got to her, I was gobsmacked to see a woman and two men had stood and watched from the other side of the road. They didn't even have a phone in there hands calling the police. As I found the woman's shoes which had gone flying I asked her if she'd lost much. She said 'some cash, and my cards and keys... and it's the second time this year, in the same area.'
Please tell everyone to be extra careful. There's netting up around roadworks blocking the pavement in. Walk round it.
Staff at the Dungeon were recently asked to complete a survey on safety on the streets round here. I think tourist areas can feel safer than they are, especially later in the evening.
Friday 5 December 2008 11.59pm
Thanks very much for this warning--I do go by sometimes in the late evening. Poor young woman!
Saturday 6 December 2008 1.25pm
A description of the culprit would be handy
Saturday 6 December 2008 1.25pm
What an awful incident. Having lived here for 7 years I have not seen anything bad myself - but 'beetroot'is right to remind us that people are being mugged fairly regularly.

I do hope that woman gets over this, incident, her second mugging. It sounds upsetting.

Saturday 6 December 2008 1.57pm
She was really together about it, more angry than frightened- good for her. I on the other hand felt a bit shaky when I got home. I'm a shortish man and he was a good 6'2". I'm not sure what I'd have done if I'd got there sooner. Maybe poke him in the eye!
Not sure if a description is much use but anyway he was black, tall, young (maybe 20ish) and had a 3" afro, maybe shorter.
Saturday 6 December 2008 2.04pm
I don't suppose Mace is legal here?
Sunday 7 December 2008 12.44pm
Well, mugging isn't legal. Nowadays however, our soft touch, bleeding heart, liberal society, not to mention warped justice system, will side with the 'poor' attacker, if you were to kick his arse.
Monday 8 December 2008 11.38am
Beetroot - The survey you mentioned is accessible here:
This feeds into a research project being lead by London First, a pan-London business organisation, in conjunction with the MET and City of London Police. A 10-15 minutes surevy targeting those working in the London Bridge area. I understand the deadline is this Friday.

Awful incident. Did the lady get in touch with the Police? I know from regular meetings with them that this sort of incident is extreemly rare but where it does happen it's essential that the police are made aware.

Shane Clarke
Team London Bridge
Monday 8 December 2008 12.41pm
Just completed that survey, Shane.
The last thing I said to her was 'do call the police about it.' I think I hid the thought 'though there's no point'.

I've reported to the police twice before.

I saw dogs on Borough Road attack a toddler. The terrified mother ran off with the kid. The dogs then ran after another kid which was grabbed by mum. I dropped into Borough High Street police station and told the policeman behind the counter. He asked 'what, on this road?'. I said 'no, this is Borough High Street. Borough Road goes that way' pointing. He said, and I'm not joking 'well we don't know the streets round here, we're all from Kent and Essex.' He wasn't joking either and said it as a genuine justification. I said 'they actually bit the kid, and they're still there now.' He looked a bit pained through his dumbness and said 'ok someone might be able to go down there later. What street was it?'

Two teenage boys came leaping out of a basement flat window. I could see a bedside lamp on its side on the bed- potential fore risk. called local (Borough High St) police who said that since the place was not secure it was a 999 incident. Called 999 who said it was a local incident. Called local who asked 'is the place secure?' I said 'no' and they said that made it an emergency. Called 999 and they said... anyway this went on 6 times till emergency said they would come out. Later, I saw that the tenant had arrived home. I told her about my calls. The police had not been. She had also called the police. The next day I saw her. No police. She called them and they said no-one had called the night before.

Idiots and liars.
Monday 8 December 2008 6.55pm
Dear Beetroot
just to let you know, if any member of the public makes a call to the Police, they are entitled to ask for the Identity of the person to whom they are reporting the incident. Every person who works for the Police, including volunteers, is given an ID number. This enables members of the public to alert the officer or civilian worker that they know how the system works .
It also assists in making a complaint if you are not satisfied with the response of the Police officer. If any of the officers came from Kent they ought to know this anyway, it is standard practice here.
Always ask for a crime number, write it down, and the time it was reported, and get the ID of the officer. If you are a member of a Nhw scheme mention that as well, because they should pay special attention to this fact!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: