Why is City Hall so un-Christmassy??

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 8 December 2008 9.59am
I wonder why there isn't even a Christmas tree at the City Hall??!! There should be lights around the Scoop, a huge tree in the middle, fairy lights everywhere and generally make the place feel festive!! If you go to New York's City Hall it's all gorgeous and festive, shouldn't London's be a little less glum??? And this has nothing to do with the credit crunch!! Even the previous year's all we got eventually was a tree inside the City Hall building (and even that was put up really last minute) and nothing else.

Related news & features

Monday 8 December 2008 10.10am
Isn't it possible that the issue here is that celebrating Christmas may not square with some policy decision to avoid causing offence to other religious groups? Not my opinion, but this is something we're seeing a lot of: Christmas being demonized not by other religious groups, but by people who are almost absurdly concerned not to be seen to do anything that might offend other religious groups' sensibilities.
Monday 8 December 2008 10.15am
Well Boris is holding a GLA carol service this year, which his predecessor didn't do.

As to decorating the area around City Hall - remember that the GLA is only a tenant at City Hall.

I would imagine that in most cities the landscape around the home of civic government would be a 'public' space under the control of the city authorities. Not so in London.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 8 December 2008 10.22am
Well that doesn't say much for the developers of More London then does it....what a shame this country shuns celebration. I am fed up with this apologist attitude that seems to prevail everywhere. This is Britian and whether we celebrate Christmas as a religiuos holiday or more secularly as just a good excuse for knees up lets get a bit more festive...whoever manages the open spaces. It dark cold damp and gloomy enough.
Monday 8 December 2008 11.33am
Walked past City Hall this morning and it looked like they were putting a tree and decorations up - I think 8th December seems a reasonable date to do this? Any earlier is pandering to the retailers who start Christmas in late October.

As for more decorations in the area I do agree, but these things can be horrendously expensive and maybe not the best use of money in the current climate.

Monday 8 December 2008 12.33pm
Are there no workhouses? Oh, wait, wrong topic.
Monday 8 December 2008 4.08pm
They could hang decorations off that awful illuminated 'tree' next to the Ernst & Young building ...
Monday 8 December 2008 4.28pm
The Dentist is right.There is far too much Christmas bling on show far too early these days. traditionally Chrustmas trees went up on Christmas Eve and stayed up until 12th night.
Monday 8 December 2008 11.12pm
I'm with The Dentist and boroughpaul on this one. I love Christmas and all its trappings but what's the point of hurling them up the minute Halloween is over - or even before. At least some of us can remember a time when it was different. The poor kids these days seem to get no chance to enjoy anticipation. Just gratification and overkill. Sad, really.
Tuesday 9 December 2008 11.43pm
Tory blogger Iain Dale claims to have the inside track on the story of the City Hall Christmas tree:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: