Tower Bridge closure soon

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 8 December 2008 7.48pm
I have just heard that Tower Bridge is to be closed in March 2009 for 2 weeks and in February/March 2010 for 20 days - in addition to the planned closure of the Bridge for a lengthy period in 2011.
Sounds rather inconvenient - make your views known to:
Peter Bennett
The City Surveyor
The City of London
PO Box 270
Guildhall
London EC2P 2EJ

Related news & features

Monday 8 December 2008 8.22pm
There must be more to the story than your one sided view?

Why is it closing? - they don't do it on a lightly or on a whim!

Why are you inviting folks to send "I object to ...." emails to Mr Bennett when you don't supply all the facts!

I am bored writing this.

It's like saying "I took my car in for a service - it needs it and it's a public responsibility to do so for everyone's safety for reasons I don't understand. But I object to it being off the road and unavailable - if you agree, please email Boris and Gordon" etc.
Tuesday 9 December 2008 5.15am
The planned closures are part of the ï4 million repainting for this beautiful bridge, which was built in 1894.

I think a few weeks closure here and there to protect and maintain this iconic symbol of London is a small price to pay for the minor inconvenience this will cause.
Tuesday 9 December 2008 8.52am
Just goes to prove how we need the river crossing at Beckton....oh sorry that's just been cancelled apparently despite years of petitioning for it. Maybe Boris can get some funding from Gordon as we are about to embark on a huge public spending spree to save the nation from economic catastrophe...2 birds with 1 stone?
Tuesday 9 December 2008 11.22am
Dear Mr. Bennett,

I have canvassed my fellow citizens and am confident that they will share my view that, where bridges are concerned, the inconvenience of maintenance far outweighs the inconvenience of collapse....
Tuesday 9 December 2008 11.48am
Simon Hughes posted this update on his website yesterday.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 9 December 2008 12.02pm
A ferry service is a great idea and can't be very expensive (Tower Bridge is manned anyway).

The reason it is taking so long is that due to superb health and safety legislation they are not allowed to simply paint over the old paint, which has lead in.

Still I am sure the paintwork will look wonderfully crisp and defined for passing birds!
Tuesday 9 December 2008 4.13pm
the bridge has closed before and will again - traffic behaving like fluid in fact finds alternative routes. the difference this time is of course that teh congestioncharge exists and limits the reflow options for all but those who have already paid or are too wealthy to care
Tuesday 9 December 2008 4.45pm
I might be wrong but I think in the past they have allowed a congestion charge free route up to one of the other bridges for the duration of the closure.
ADT
Tuesday 9 December 2008 5.59pm
I think that happened in 2005 - there was a route via London Bridge, but a very specific one and IIRC some people got caught out by bad signage or something and had to complain to avoid congestion charge fines.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: