The Hartley

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 13 January 2004 3.34pm
New to the area and came across The Hartley Bar & Dining rooms at the weekend... A real find. Fantastic food (especially the puddings - all you with a sweet tooth), great service and vibe and not expensive either. Would reccomend it highly. Beats The Garrison hands down. Plus if its too busy you can always go to Siu's or The Tower Bridge Tandoori!

bod
Tuesday 13 January 2004 4.43pm
well, good luck to them - i just checked the multimap link and was surprised to see how far down tower bridge road it is.
Tuesday 13 January 2004 4.48pm
Bod... 'And?'

There is life down the other end of Tower Bridge Road too y'know.
Tuesday 13 January 2004 4.51pm

I tried The Hartley the other day and wasn't all that impressed. I found it totally lacking in atmosphere, admittedly it was a tuesday night and very quiet, perhaps when word get's around this will all change. Also the barmaid didn't seem to really know what she was doing.
I'm willing to give it another go and try the food however and anywhere that has Blue Nun on the wine board for 40 a bottle get's my vote (I presumed that this was meant to show the owners sense of humour but this was totally lost on the barmaid when I questioned her!!)

For now, however, The Garrison gets my custom every time.
Tuesday 13 January 2004 5.13pm
Daniel - did you do an Alan Partridge when talking to the barmaid about Blue Nun?
Tuesday 13 January 2004 5.28pm
I've eaten there twice now.
First time, service was slow despite it being quiet.
Second time the place was heaving, service was excellent and the food was first class.

I'd urge those who have experienced the the early days of staff finding their feet to go back, you won't regret it.

Oh and don't forget the Bermondsey Kitchen - now that the Hartley and Garrison have sprung up it's a cinch to walk in off the street and get a table any night of the week. Don't neglect it though - it'd be a shame to see it close as everyone's gone down the road.
Tuesday 13 January 2004 5.37pm
I went there on a very busy night, found it had a lovely atmosphere, pleasant staff and the food was the equal of Bermondsey kitchen, and better value. I'll definitely go back, especially as it's handier for me than Bermondsey kitchen.

Anyone know what happened to Kennington Lane restaurant, by the way? Was sad to see the place closed down.

Tuesday 13 January 2004 9.48pm
I liked it too, but found the menu of The Garisson more 'audacious' and more inspiring.

I tried the Hartley twice, but was very unlucky not to be able to have my first choice both visits..but, it's a nice place and a great addition to the neighbourhood.
Wednesday 14 January 2004 8.53am
Talking of barmaid.... she was a bit scatty, totally unorganised and didn't let me taste the wine before passing it over....
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: