Wine Theatre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 18 December 2008 12.34pm
New bar / restaurant at bottom of travelodge on Union Street. It looks awful. I haven't dared to go in. But I am intrigued. Has anyone been?
Thursday 18 December 2008 12.47pm
it looks rather out of place doesnt it?
Thursday 18 December 2008 1.12pm
I haven't seen the restaurant but I read an article in the Evening Standard earlier this week (Monday prehaps) saying that they were having a "happy hour" (or three actually) from 5pm to 8pm - whereby food is free if you pay 8 for a glass of wine....can't remember what else it said apart from that the offer was for this week only. I'm rather hoping someone will go along and report their findings on the forum as I won't have time to go. I do remember it said italian food and I got the impression the restaurant was keen on educating in matching certain wines to food.
Thursday 18 December 2008 1.50pm
i think if its good it will be ok and if its bad it will be awful...looking forward to reading the reviews. who is game to try it first?
Thursday 18 December 2008 3.52pm
According to the menu (http://www.thewinetheatre.co.uk/menu.php):

How it works
The “Aperitivo” is served daily between 5pm and 8pm

• Take a seat or go to the bar
• Order a drink
• Head over to the "Aperitivo" table and help yourself!

Price
8 for your first drink
(fine wine & champagne excluded)
Menu price thereafter
There is no additional charge for the food
W&D
Monday 22 December 2008 3.44pm
First things first: I haven't been to Wine Theatre yet...but I rather doubt that I will.

My suspicions were raised by the 8/drink 'special offer' that has been advertised: any wine bar that has a special offer of 8 for a glass of wine seems slightly out of step with the world.

For my sins, I used to run a wine bar, so I tend to be hypersensitive to wine bars' pricing, since in many/most cases I know what they're paying for their wines. I've just a look over the Wine Theatre's website, and - in my opinion - their wines are not only priced beyond the reach of most people looking for a good spot for a midweek drink, but also have a significantly large mark-up.

The mark-up on bottles of wine is at the level I'd expect of a Michelin-starred restaurant, and their selection of wines doesn't seem to justify the prices they're asking.

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but Wine Theatre is going to have to offer quite some added value - tutored tasting, perhaps? - to make a go of it in such a location with such West End prices.
Monday 22 December 2008 4.22pm
The prices are pretty fanciful. I don't think much of the website either. Will go and check it out, mainly out of curiosity, but I don't fancy its chances. It's not exactly a great location.
Monday 22 December 2008 5.22pm
they could have thought out the logo a bit better, i immediately read it as 'tw*t'
Tuesday 23 December 2008 8.01am
I also note it's part of the exciting mecca that is the South Bank. Seems to be stretching that geographical reference a bit. I wish it well but it looks a little awkward there.
Tuesday 23 December 2008 12.44pm
Hi guys, I've been at this twt wine bar and the 8 drink and buffet is not a Xmas offer.
Apparently they do it all year round.NOT BAD!
I have been there with my sister and some wine lover friends and this is my review:
The food was terrific !
At the TWT I have discovered "THE RICE BALLS".
It was the first time for me and it was love at first bite... so cheeeeeese, but not oily at all.
Then I had ham, pasta, bruschettas, bluecheese, marinated olives, salad, risotto... then the rice balls again... and again... and again till my sister reminded me of my diet.
Then I decided to get a dessert (forgot about diet gain).
I am a coffee lover, so I had my favourite: TIRAMISU.
Ahhhhhh I loved it !
The mom of my friend is Italian, but that was so much better! (sorry Angela).
My sister was constantly digging in my plate until she ordered one for herself.
The service had it's up and downs but the waitress that served our table was friendly. She had a bit of an accent for my taste, but she was professional and she knew what she was doing.
One thing my mother always told me about a restaurant is... always check the toilet!
If the washrooms are clean, the kitchen is clean too.
Location? it's a bit hidden, but aren't diamonds hidden too?
In regards to the wine I really loved the one my friend ordered for me. (not sure of the name...montepalciani?)
Overall, I am not a posh wine lover, but I will not live a day without my tiramisu !!!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: