Is SE1 turning into Soho?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Friday 19 December 2008 8.33am
Walking past the tube station on BHS I noticed that some arcade like shop has opened. I was on teh NatWest side so couldn't see properly, but it had a sign saying "Amusements" and "Welcome" in that same neon lighting you see on arcades or those clubs. Then, walking onto Southwark Street I was greed by a huge billboard reading: "Looking for longer lasting Sex", with "Sex" in huge caps that you could see from across the river. I am not criticising, just remarking on this slightly signs usually associated with a the West End.
Friday 19 December 2008 9.22am
The application for the amusements place was discussed on a thread here some time ago., It's not the kind of thing I'm pleased to see on BHS, as it's tacky and I would prefer the street to move upmarket. However, I think the area is a VERY long way from becoming like Soho.
Friday 19 December 2008 9.57am
i dont understand how the "agora" arcade got planning permission. who needs such a trashy joint??
Friday 19 December 2008 10.20am
Would oyu rather the amusement arcade or a renal unit?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 19 December 2008 10.40am
hmmmm thats a difficult choice
Friday 19 December 2008 10.42am
but on reflection the arcade is truly hideous
Friday 19 December 2008 11.06am
I'd much rather have a renal unit that an arcade - the former is at least a benefit to those with kidney ailments.
Friday 19 December 2008 11.10am
They opened one of these on the Walworth Rd a few months ago too. Truely hideously garish frontage!!! I never see ppl going in these places either, so how they turn a profit, god knows! I've also noticed that a BetFred has opened on Tower Bridge Rd along with another one on Walworth Rd a few months ago. It seems as though almost every new business opening in Southwark is gambling related these days. Who do we complain to at the council about this?
Friday 19 December 2008 11.43am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Walking past the tube station on BHS I noticed that some arcade like shop has opened. I was on teh NatWest side so couldn't see properly, but it had a sign saying "Amusements" and "Welcome" in that same neon lighting you see on arcades or those clubs. Then, walking onto Southwark Street I was greed by a huge billboard reading: "Looking for longer lasting Sex", with "Sex" in huge caps that you could see from across the river. I am not criticising, just remarking on this slightly signs usually associated with a the West End.

The "longer lasting sex" ads are all over the place; just passed one on Jamaica Road. The slots arcade is bad, but fits in with the rest of Borough High Street. Most of it is pretty low rent and unloved, not saying that is a good thing or that it shouldn't be changed mind, it's just what it is.
Friday 19 December 2008 12.28pm
mirageman wrote:
I've also noticed that a BetFred has opened on Tower Bridge Rd along with another one on Walworth Rd a few months ago. It seems as though almost every new business opening in Southwark is gambling related these days. Who do we complain to at the council about this?
Market forces. If there's enough trade for another bookies, then someone will open one.

Would you deny the gamblers of TBR an outlet for their legal hobby?

Would you rather have another chicken shop, or another place where you can send money to another country? TBH, I'd rather complain about those places, which are pretty much all there is down TBR, rather than a bookies.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: