Underground Vaults

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 20 December 2008 11.57pm
Hi

Does anyone know of any underground Vaults, crypts or tunnels. I am looking for a space i can hire for a free event for local people. I know of the amazing shunt vaults, I heard these are closing don't know how true this is as cant get a reply from them. something about lease due for renewal. I have been trying to contact the council as i believe they own them but getting no joy.

I have been told there is a lot of vaults in the area. Can anyone shed any more light on this? Anyone have any contact or any ideas? I would be much appreciated.
the more rustic and unusal the better.If you know any contacts of the owners for the shunt vaults or anything else.

Last event was in a crypt so im opened minded about the space. ha ha . Any help no matter how small would be my ideal xmas gift being trying to get contacts for unused spaces for months and pulling my hair out.

look forward to the responses
Thanks
Sunday 21 December 2008 7.03am
Vampire looking for daytime resting place?
Sunday 21 December 2008 10.22am
Shunt closes in May.
You can hire the London Dungeon. How about the Old Operating Theatre? The Clink is a party venue too.
Sunday 21 December 2008 10.38am
Very few "underground" vaults in SE1, unless you go for the crypt of a church like St George the Martyr(not sure if the renovation is finished, but I think they have destroyed any character that it had as well as half the underlying archaeology in lowering the floor of the crypt)

There are plenty of railway arches. The problem is that with the rapid regneration/gentrification of the area, Spacia who manage most of them are looking for well-heeled commercial tenants, and have been waterproofing/recladding them to make them less vault-like.

Post credit-crunch they might have a few on which renovation has been indefinitely postponed.
Sunday 21 December 2008 4.58pm
I guess the arch where London SE1 had it's birthday celebration might be an option on Great Suffolk St. I was unable to attend but passed it a couple times prior and it looked to be still 'in character'. No doubt others here could confirm that, hardly underground though.
Monday 22 December 2008 9.50am
Not SE1 but St Pancras church crypt...
Monday 22 December 2008 12.31pm
Where are the shunt vaults please and what are they?

The arches between Great Suffolk Street and Ewer Street (used as car parking during the day) are often hired out for music/clubs. No idea who you could contact though.

What type of event do you need the venue for?
Monday 22 December 2008 12.35pm
The Shunt Vaults are under London Bridge Station and currently operate as a members' club with an eclectic arts programme, but that space will disappear as part of the Thameslink works.

Shunt is one of the shortlisted bidders for the cultural space at Potters Fields.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 22 December 2008 5.52pm
I love that little door, so under-stated and gives nothing away. I suggest you pay it a visit before it closes Mini, one of London's unique venues.
Monday 22 December 2008 6.56pm
Yesterday I visited a friend who was showing her work at the SE1 Gallery at 1 Crucifix Lane. She let me park in the vaults behind which appeared to be a labyrinth of interconnecting sections and seemed to be shared by all sorts of businesses (just for parking and storage). The entrance was just around the corner in the Bermondsey St tunnel.

I know nothing more but my friend and I were discussing what a fabulous space it would be for a party. I suggest you call the Gallery and ask. Sorry, can't help with a number.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: