Garden supplies

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 2 January 2009 1.30am
Are there any gardeners (I'm more of a balcony-er) who could advise on where to buy garden supplies, particularly compost, troughs, metal hangers for troughs and seeds?

I've been to the B&Q on Old Kent Road, and also to quite a good garden centre in East Dulwich, but I now mostly default to the Homebase on York Road (Battersea area). Also, seeds seem to be better priced on ebay! It would be really handy if there were a more local source (SE11, SE1 or SE17) for geen fingered purchasing. Does anybody have any recommendations?
Friday 2 January 2009 10.20am
There's not much really in the area. There's a hardware store on Southwark Park Road (near the Blue) which sells compost.

There used to ba a shop in Vauxhall on Kennington Lane (Vauxhall tube end) which had a small selection of plants etc but I'm not sure if that's still open.

Sunday mornings at Columbia Road (I know it's E1) are always good for plants and a good range of garden accessories.

A bit further afield (Tulse Hill / Streatham way) is quite a good place called Knolly's Garden Centre - on Knolly's Road.
Friday 2 January 2009 11.03am
Seeds: you get a good selection via the online seed merchants. I use Thompson & Morgan (but I'm sure there are others of equal ability)

Brackets for troughs: I got some last yr, and spent a while looking around. There's a thread I posted last yr on this topic that should have a link to where I eventually got them from, iirc

Troughs (plus other little odds and ends, and plant feed): easier to find in SE1. The hardware/garden supplies place on Lower Marsh (about half way down, Sth side of road)

Hope that helps

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 2 January 2009 11.35am
I agree about the place on Lower Marsh - very useful. They also do little bags of general purpose and seedlings compost. For bigger stuff, I like Camden Garden Centre, 5 mins walk from Camden Town tube. Or, near the Homebase you mentioned in Battersea, try Neal's Nurseries, tucked in between the Trinity Road and HMP Wandsworth.
Friday 2 January 2009 2.47pm
depending on how soon you need the compost, i'd suggest making your own, as it's a better solution in the long run.

as for seeds, you might want to come to one of our monthly mini eco fairs (january one will be in east dulwich, but we are coming to borough high street some time soon) as we've got seed swaps (where you bring some, you take some. for free)

http://www.peoplesrepublicofsouthwark.co.uk
Friday 2 January 2009 11.04pm
Do you have any more information on the dates/times/exact locations for your mini eco fairs?
Monday 5 January 2009 8.09am
Martin is the hardware store in the Blue still open? I am sure it closed unless it has re-opened further down. If it's just small bags of compost you need the garage in new kent road sells it. Would it not be nice to have a garden centre again in great suffolk street! or perhaps if Woolies developed more into a Wilkinson type store instead of turning into a dvd/cd store of which there are thousands..they would still have a business.
Monday 5 January 2009 9.52am
Homeletter wrote:
Do you have any more information on the dates/times/exact locations for your mini eco fairs?

homeletter, hi, the mini eco fairs will be every last saturday of the month, around southwark (the one on 24th jan is in east dulwich, but i have been in contact with people around borough high street and bermondsey so will be coming that way soon too). i will be posting info about them closer to the time (you can always subscribe to our newsletter and/or check the 'out and about' article which has info on all sorts of local events).

peoples republic of southwark
Monday 5 January 2009 12.42pm
I think you're right Jan - it closed about a year ago. Let's campaign for Woolies to be turned into a Wilkinsons ! Much as I hate to say it B&Q on the OKR are OK for compost etc if you can't find anywhere better!
Monday 5 January 2009 3.17pm
Thanks for the responses. I visited the Battersea/Clapham garden centre, but prices are quite high!

I will get around to making my own compost, but need to get hold a wormery first :) I'm a bit worried about how the worms will survive if they get lost in the post around here!

I think I'll pay another visit to Lower Marsh at the weekend to see what they've got there...

Next question, does anybody have any spare greenhouse space?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: