Tank at Mandela Way & Pages Walk

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 3 January 2009 8.58pm
Hi all

Have heard various rumours about the origin of this tank over the years (aimed a planning dept by bloke who couldn't get permission to build on the plot etc) and love the way it periodically changes colour over the years but just wondering if the grafitti on the wall is by Banksy? Certainly looks like his style. And anyone know the real story of the tank?
Saturday 3 January 2009 9.16pm
Saturday 3 January 2009 9.18pm
Thanks James.

Do you ever stop lurking on this forum? :-P
Saturday 3 January 2009 10.39pm
James is the main man, Orish. King Pin an' all. (I'm re-watching The Wire, sorry).
Sunday 4 January 2009 9.42am
Story i heard was council would not let him build something on the land so he applied to them to locate a 'tank' there, the council believing it to be water tank or the like.
It has been on southwark councils tourist map for SE1 , maybe we should list it ?
Monday 12 January 2009 2.24pm
I thought it looked very Banksy too but I'm unsure why he hasn't signed it, unless he's getting annoyed with people taking the walls down so that they can sell his work.

I was always disappointed that the 'girl and balloon' disappeared from down near Vinopolis a few years ago - I don't know if they painted over it or what. There's a big advertising blurb in its place now. Pity
Monday 12 January 2009 3.53pm
If you search on here, there's a thread some time back about the girl and balloon being removed. Can't remember the details. Sorry.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 12 January 2009 4.16pm
Hey, thanks, will do! My wife thinks I made it up
Monday 12 January 2009 10.11pm
ultrapatrick wrote:
I thought it looked very Banksy too but I'm unsure why he hasn't signed it, unless he's getting annoyed with people taking the walls down so that they can sell his work.
I was always disappointed that the 'girl and balloon' disappeared from down near Vinopolis a few years ago - I don't know if they painted over it or what. There's a big advertising blurb in its place now. Pity

The graffiti by the tank isn't Banksy, the mushroom cloud one is by Mantis and the Eject and Survive piece is by a local street artist Arofish who also has a number of pieces in the railway tunnel on Cold Blow Lane.
Monday 12 January 2009 10.16pm
Thanks for that info about the artwork. Much appreciated :-)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: