Lant Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 15
Sunday 4 January 2009 11.16am
I was aware that Lant Street would be closing at some point, but hadn't realised until today that the current works outside Charles Dickens primary school are the start of the closure. The road will be closed permanently from hereon with no access for pedestrians or cars. Have a look at:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/FILE_8824.pdf

and this one has a map:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/FILE_8824.pdf
jw
Sunday 4 January 2009 11.50am
Can't seem to find a map on that second file. So that's it now for good for pedestrians even? I'm amazed that there seem to be no signs at either end of the street warning the road is closed for access.
Sunday 4 January 2009 12.38pm
Apologies posted the same link twice... here it is:

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/DocsOnline/Documents/36555_1.pdf

Yup, no good for pedestrians - will have to go around via Marshalsea Rd or Gt Suffolk St.
Sunday 4 January 2009 4.07pm
Won't that cause major traffic problems. Nothing against schools getting better facilities but what was the local councillors' attitude?
Sunday 4 January 2009 4.31pm
Boris Johnson's deputy mayor, Ian Clement, decided in September that a public inquiry into the stopping up of the street was unnecessary.

See the decision letter and GLA officers' report.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 4 January 2009 6.24pm
Thanks James
Monday 5 January 2009 7.58am
It certainly has my vote, the children used to use the area by the side of the school in Lant Street as a garden years ago. I never realised each child in school was allocated such a precise amount of playing space..Better the money invested in a scheme where children play and develop their motor skills and generally have fun. Other roads have been closed off to traffic and caused problems for drivers and other properties with increase of traffic going by their front door instead.

Trinity street comes to mind straight away, I always thought that was going to be temporary measure but now I know different!
Monday 5 January 2009 5.33pm
I agree with Jan.

Jan the old one wrote:
Trinity street comes to mind straight away, I always thought that was going to be temporary measure but now I know different!

I did think there was a slight irony to the respondent from Trinity Square objecting to this proposal partly on the grounds that it "will only benefit one section of the community".
Tuesday 6 January 2009 1.30am
well I'm a bit miffed as bought my flat after planning permission had been granted, about 2.5 years ago. It's awkward getting the car out as one of the roads on the side nearest southwark bridge road is one way only.
they have not thought this through!
Tuesday 6 January 2009 6.45am
'Not thought this through' from whose perspective? I imagine the intention here is to prioritise a route through the immediate area and reduce traffic flow, given the labyrinthine nature of the streets in question.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: