A splash of colour on Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 4 January 2009 4.44pm
A local estate agent, displaced by the proposed railway viaduct, has relocated to refurbished offices in Borough High Street, identified by a shop front partly painted in a garish, aggressive shade of pinkish-red. This may well be one of their corporate colours, but[imo]is a very ugly change to that relatively attractive section of Borough High Street which is part of a conservation area. This is presumably in a desperate attempt to attract attention [they are next door to Fields and not far from two other agents offices]. The combination of colours is similar to Chicken Shack a few doors away, which manages to be less obtrusive!

The colour has also been painted over the natural stone facade of lower part of the building, and they have [I assume] had to acquire planning permission to do this. If so, I am surprised it was granted, because I have personal experience of Southwark Councils 'sensitivity' about external paint colours on a building in the same conservation area. However, my attempts to search the councils planning register only result in my computer going on strike - anyone able to check?
Sunday 4 January 2009 5.08pm
They've got an application in for new signage - see here. Not decided yet, though.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 5 January 2009 10.31am
It is not clear if they have sought necessary consents for the painting.

The painting would need consent if it materially affects the visual appearance of the building in the context of the Conservation Area... it sounds like it might.

I suggest contacting the case officer named for the 'signage' application and ask about the painting.
Monday 5 January 2009 3.08pm
I also was very non-pleased with the garish paint on this building. I hope the signage is not going to be along the smae lines. I will take a look at the application...
Monday 5 January 2009 4.06pm
It is hideous.
Not much else to say.
I have made a complaint to Southwark Planners.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: