Olde Southwark (and the rest)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 8 January 2009 2.31pm
I've been fanatically reading Stephen Inwood's "Historic London: an explorer's companion" - loads of interesting stuff on Southwark.

Highly recommended if you like that sort of thing and best read with a giant A-Z by your side.

And Cross Bones gets a mention in "Necropolis: London and it's Dead." It seems that upper ground (where i work) was a massive, heaving graveyard... Some would say, from the derivative telly it produces, that it still is.

Happy New Year from a London local history addict. x
Thursday 8 January 2009 6.12pm
Just looked it up and ordered it on Amazon. What is facsinating about Southwark is how much of the old parts still remain despite the blitz and postwar planners. The local history library is well worth a visit, although the best way to see Southwark and Bermondsey is to walk it (although taking pictures may not be a good idea these days)
Friday 9 January 2009 9.26am
I bought that book several months ago, and you're right, it's fascinating! Thanks for the mention--I'll have to get it out again and do some more exploring.
Thursday 15 January 2009 6.58pm
I was most gutted to find out that bleeding heart yard (Dickens, Little Dorrit) wasn't in southwark. It would have taken seconds to check on an A-Z (cos it's still there) but I always pictured it somewhere around near London Bridge or borough. Thrilled you can still see the wall of the Marshalsea though...

See, this is why I liked living in Pages Walk: when it was dark and cold, you felt like you were living a novel.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: