Southwark Bridge Road Water main

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
jw
Thursday 8 January 2009 11.25pm
Hi,

Did anyone notice that a water main seems to have burst recently?

The reason I am asking is that the council fixed the problem and then gritted the road, but only gritted Southwark Bridge Road but not Sturge Street behind.

As a result I came flying off my scooter the other day as I turned into Sturge Street as it was covered in black ice - there was no hope for me.

My bike is badly damaged and I am trying to reclaim some money from the council for this. The roads weren't icy at all and i was of course driving with care, but this was impossible to avoid. A local builder saw it happened and helped me out but in my state I didn't take a number.

If anyone else can back me up about the water main and the ice etc.. that would be great if I need it with the council.

Thank you
Friday 9 January 2009 12.09am
Yes, I walked down Sawyer Street towards Lant Street on Tuesday afternoon at about 4pm and I noticed a torrent of water all round the bend into Sturge Street outside the entrance to the British School of Osteopathy treatment centre.

A burst water main would be a Thames Water matter rather than a council one, though.

Is Southwark Bridge Road a TfL road? If so, any gritting would be a matter for them.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
jw
Friday 9 January 2009 7.34am
Hi James,

Thanks for that. I am pleased you saw it as well. It was turning from Sawyer Street into Sturge Street that I had the accident.

After the main was fixed they saw it fit to grit Southwak Bridge Road but not Sturge Street. It was so dangerous.

I think the gritting of the road, specially Sturge Street, comes under the council's transport department. That is who I have been referred to and asked to fill out a claims form detailing what happened.

Would I be able to call on you if I need any backup??
jw
Sunday 11 January 2009 10.28am
Is anyone else able to help? NEed as much backup as I can get I think with this.

Thanks
Monday 12 January 2009 5.49pm
Yes, I cycle that way every day and could vouch for it. There was still a sign of a leak this morning.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: