New Year's Eve Cordon

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 9 January 2009 10.42am
New Year's Eve Police Cordon - is it necessity or hindrance?
This New Year's Eve at 3am a young person was violently attacked at a bus stop outside the Tabernacle church at Elephant and Castle. The young person and friend were ignored by passers by and police cars. An SE1 United employee discovered the young people and phoned for an ambulance which 40 minutes later had still not arrived despite repeated phone calls and attempts to flag down passing police cars. The employee eventually hailed a taxi, however the taxi was not allowed through the sealed off area to get to St Thomas's accident and emergency unit so they had to walk several hundred metres. Also no information was given to residents on my estate, Cooper Close SE1, about the road closures and what they needed as proof to be allowed through the cordon if they were caught outside it. My husband had to beg to be let through in our car, only the parking permit for our estate got him in.
Did anyone else have any problems?
Friday 9 January 2009 12.30pm
I do hope the attacked chap is OK.

The plod in the passing police cars were probably very busy. I imagine that there were lots of people taking photos in public places that night.
ADT
Friday 9 January 2009 1.27pm
The NYE cordon is necessary - imagine the chaos without it - but it seems it could be implemented better. I always assumed that residents within 'restricted' areas would get some kind of notice. I know we have one circulated at our office (from the police I think) setting out the time table for road closures etc.
Friday 9 January 2009 3.50pm
is it necessary from 8pm to 4am?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: