Friends of Guy's charity shop

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 9 January 2009 12.51pm
Does anyone know why this charity shop has currently vacated their seemingly purpose built space outside the main entrance to the hospital? Will they be returning, or will it be taken over by a coffee shop/estate agents? And where else can I take a bag of clothes?
Friday 9 January 2009 2.18pm
i saw something saying they were closing and would hold sales in the hospital but not why

if it is mens clothes the Manna society in Mellor street (i think that is the name of it)always needs them and there is a united charities shop in Jamaica road
PKM
Friday 9 January 2009 2.25pm
I take mine to the one on TBR next to Urban Bliss.
Friday 9 January 2009 5.00pm
Apparantley, my colleague says the shop is still open at Guy's, if you go past the shop and turn right, they have a small store like room. Not sure if it will be there long? Think they are still taking stuff in for now.
Friday 9 January 2009 9.04pm
I donated a load of books the other day to the book trolley but had to go the St. Thomas' as that's where the Friends are based. The lady there told me they were struggling to get volunteer staff to man the shop so that may have something to do with it?
Tuesday 13 January 2009 9.29am
There's a planning application to turn the old Friends' charity shop into a coffee shop.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 13 January 2009 10.01am
I assume all profits will go towards the hospital?
Tuesday 13 January 2009 9.17pm
The planning application claims that the shop is not in a conservation area. AFAIK the boundary of Borough High Street CA runs down the middle of Great Maze Pond.

I had always understood that the shop was only ever supposed to only be a temporary structure (indeed I assumed it was coming down as part of the Thomas Heatherwick environmental improvements), and that at some point the rest of the railings to the East Wing (Boland House/Counting House) were supposed to be restored???
Tuesday 13 January 2009 11.10pm
Hi Rabie

Not sure if we are all talking about the same place? Are you referring to the corner at the other end of the building to McDonalds where different people sell different stuff e.g. handbags one day, books the next? We are talking about the purpose built glass shop over at the carpark.
Tuesday 13 January 2009 11.18pm
I think Lang Rabbie may have the Galleria in mind - IIRC the Friends shop used to be there.

LR - the shop being discussed in this thread is on the east side of Great Maze Pond and is shown on this PDF map.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network