Rock bars at SE area?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 19 January 2004 3.41pm
hi, I'm new in the SE area and I'd like to find all local clubs with live rock/metal music, or hard rock bars etc?

Cheers!

Monday 19 January 2004 4.18pm
Not SE area, but have you ever been to The Borderline near Charing Cross? Awesome venue - most major bands have played there at some time. Their rock club night is Thursday I think - check out www.borderline.co.uk for details.

They even had Rage Against the Machine in there once upon a time - the place only holds about 2-3 hundred people, so that must have been madness!
Monday 19 January 2004 4.19pm
Ooh - and the Coronet (Elephant & Castle) has Primal Scream coming up soon...possibly a sign of things to come?
Anonymous User
Monday 19 January 2004 4.26pm
Also not in SE1 is The Venue at New Cross - haven't been for years but it used to be good.

Briston Academy isn't all that far away either
Monday 19 January 2004 4.39pm
In fact, there's too many good venues just a short tube ride away to limit yourself to SE1.

A friend's band - called Bodaseed - are playing the Carling Islington Academy this Thursday. They are heavy rock/indie - so maybe Thursday is the day for rock in Islington.

Other good rock venues I've been to - The Astoria (Charing Cross), The Underworld (Camden), the Electric Ballroom (Camden), The Garage (Highbury). All of these are extremely near tube stations, and I'm sure as dammit the last three of those four have regular live music nights/rock club nights.
Monday 19 January 2004 4.57pm
And one that I've never been to, but I'd really like to is Trash. This is a regular club night at a club called The End in WC1. Whilst not always strictly rock, they do have a lot of people out of well known bands doing DJ sets there, so presumably you'd get some rock. I think you have to be prepared to walk the line where rock and electro meets.

http://www.trashclub.co.uk/
Anonymous User
Monday 19 January 2004 5.00pm
You forgot the Forum in Kentish Town and LA2 in Charing Cross Road, Shepherds Bush Empire, The Mean Fiddler... there are so many.

Now I feel nostalgic for all the gigs I've been too... just nipping out for an NME to see who's playing... :-)
Monday 19 January 2004 5.07pm
Seems we've established one thing.....there are no heavy rock venues in SE1.

As the nice old Indian says to Dustin Hoffman in Little Big Man: "My heart soars like a bird"

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 19 January 2004 5.09pm
You're not wrong Birdie. I've been vowing to go to a gig a month for the past three years, and I've failed so miserably. Think it's cos my other half isn't a rock lover. Now there's a memory - gig girls...just how good are indie chicks?

And how could I forget the Kentish Town forum? I saw Feeder there when they were heavy rock - before they went all mainstream. Oh, how I wish it was 1997 again!

Post edited (19 Jan 04 17:11)
Monday 19 January 2004 5.25pm
CHEERS,

Good replies! I've been at Mean Fiddler to see Devin Townsend Band, it was brilliant. Underworld at Camden is also good. Coronet and Venue sounds interesting, it's only because I work at Soho I'm totally fed up with the whole area.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: