SixWinesEight

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 13 January 2009 10.58am
Anyone know what has happened to SixWinesEight on Tower Bridge Road? They seem to have shut up after Christmas. I know they were looking for other premises last year but I don't know if they have opened up somewhere else. Their website hasn't been updated for a while.

I'm missing the nice wine and don't want to get drawn into the habit of going into Sainsburys.
Tuesday 13 January 2009 5.53pm
Their lease on the TBR premises ended on 31 December, I was chatting to the guys that day and they were waiting to tie up the loose ends on a new premises for February. Internet only in the meantime sadly.

Will be good to see them reopen in new premises as they are one of my favourite local businesses but as I am trying not to drink in January it is probably a good thing for me! ;-)
yas
Saturday 17 January 2009 12.07am
Does anyone know where they have moved to? It seems that the wine has gone although the signs are still up. I recall a while back there was some talk of them moving to the building on the corner of Long Lane and Bermondsey St... ?

[threads merged - JH]
Saturday 17 January 2009 1.43pm
looks like the place is opening up as aomething else..
it was shame its gone always got some good recomendations there..
there is definately something going on with the rents around this area.. lots of changes happening and not always for the best
Sunday 18 January 2009 7.31am
i would imagine as the recession hits there will be even more changes to come. i expect the "high street" to be unrecognisable in 3 or 4 years with the big boys consolidating and rationalising while online shopping will spell the end for small local (albeit overpriced) businesses. there is a certain inevitablity about this...
Monday 19 January 2009 11.06am
There has been a premises application licence posted to the small gatehouse building on the corner of Bermondsey St and Long Lane. But that's been there since at least October last year and there's no sign of any progress.
It looks like the old Sixwineseight site is being taken over by Marmalade next door. Their plan is obviously for world domination. Or domination of Tower Bridge Road at least!
Monday 19 January 2009 1.33pm
We went into sixwineseight just before the New Year and they are moving to another space around here soon - it wasn't happening as quickly as they'd hoped ... but they've not gone!

(Just think of it as part of your detox and a break for your liver!)
Monday 19 January 2009 6.26pm
Good to hear. And - as mentioned on another thread - I'm chuffed by the opening of the new fruit and veg. stall just across the road from it. Not all doom and gloom for independent businesses yet, anyway.
Monday 19 January 2009 9.05pm
looking forward to sixwineseight reopening in new quarters, february can't come soon enough! Such a great shop, friendly owners and cleverly chosen wines. And I'm also delighted to have the fruit-n-veg stall open on TBR!
Thursday 22 January 2009 10.45pm
Six Wines Eight was a great business on Tower Bridge Road. Sadly their lease was coming to an end so many of us tried to help them find new premises locally - with suggestions that they setup a shp and wine bar in the underground facilities "TO(i)LET" at the junction of Abbey Street and Tower Bridge Road or in the "Watch House" at the junction of Bermondsey Street and Long Lane. It seemed like a great way to pull people down Bermondsey Street into the new Bermondsey Square development and the next and exciting facilities there.

In the end the "Watch House" looked like the ideal solution and they submitted a planning application which was supported by local Councillors and by Southwark's Planning Policy department as being economically desirable for our community.

Sadly the local Church and Diocese objected, citing an otherwise forgotten condition from the 1950s which prohibited the sale of alcohol from those premises.

Local Chaucer and Grange LibDem councillors gave a lot of support and encouragement to Six Wines Eight and we continue to hope that they can find a new local site in our vibrant and growing community.

I hope that Hayden and the Six Wines Eight team can find another home in our local area since their presence added to the regeneration of lower tower bridge road

Tim

Cllr Tim McNally
LibDem Member for Chaucer Ward
Executive Member for Resources
Southwark Council
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: