Intimidation in supermarket car parks

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
VM
Monday 19 January 2004 9.12pm
Anyone else been approached in car parks on the Old Kent Road by someone asking to return your trolley 'for you', ie, "gimme a quid"?

Nice man threatened assault for the trolley the other day, especially as the suggestion of police involvement (ha ha) meant a warm bed for the night. Security at the supermarket looked interested then turned their backs immediately even as the indicated robber walked past them!

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences - not looking for comments on my generosity, or lack of, towards the members of the homeless population who do not give you a choice, nor the suggestion of buying toilet paper from Borough Market :o)

ali
Tuesday 20 January 2004 12.25am
been going on for years...ever since it opened i think, but they are getting more aggressive. I now do home shopping. GREAT. Waitrose are the best and are giving away 30.00 worth of vouchers to new customers. ocado.com.
jan
Tuesday 20 January 2004 7.17am
i look so poor the homeless normally try to give me money! i hate the old kent road tescos. The staff there have a blatant disregard for the creeps using disabled bays without a badge. there is an undercurrent of agression in that car park, not akways the homeless who suggest that they can help by taking your trolley back. I always say....give me 50p then you can!

and the porcine element takes to the sky...
Tuesday 20 January 2004 9.00am
It's always worse when the supermarket in question is on the edge of a town where everything else shuts in the evening. The dark seems to draw out the weirdos. I used to work for Waitrose, and my job involved visting the stores just before they closed. One of my colleagues went to one, and with the multi-storey car park being on the edge of a largely closed town, she found herself driving in the dark through a car park. Which was fine until an aggressive driver came roaring down the other way, and refused to give way - then she was forced to scrape the entire side of her car along a bollard...

Almost makes it worth travelling out of the area to one of those well-lit Tesco Extra type places...
jac
Tuesday 20 January 2004 11.12am
I think it would be worth complaining to the management in this case. They had a big problem with this sometime ago but due to complaints they had a big crack ground and for several months at least the problem was gone (or at least i didn't see and evidence of it).

It is in Tesco interest not to loose your custom so they should do something about it. I heard from the taxi drivers the beggers (afterall that what they are) made up to 80 a day from returning trolley, then get picked up at the end of the day by someone in a good car. This might not be true or it might be that it is so profitable there is a bit of organised "crime" going on here. Me I just tell them i need the money for the fare.
Tuesday 20 January 2004 11.14am
Let's face it - it's one of the worst supermarkets in London!

I stopped going about a year ago after seeing asylum seekers eating as much as possible before getting to the tills and the assistants taking phone calls whilst working at the tills.

It also seems to be a culture of park as close to the front door as possible, block the road and wait for your partner to finish the shopping whilst security looks the other way to everything and anything that might be a threat to them.

Thank god for Canada Water!
Tuesday 20 January 2004 11.22am

It really is a horrible supermarket, thing is I live in Tower Bridge Road and it's the closest to me.

Can anyone suggest a better supermarket that I can get to easily by public transport?
Tuesday 20 January 2004 11.45am
Daniel, if you catch one of the buses running to the North side of Tower Bridge where there is a Safeway in the St Katherines Dock complex. It might actually be closer to you than the Tesco and is a more expensive but more relaxing environment.

I havent been to the OKRd Tesco's since I had a run in with the manager there and that was about 2 years ago.

(Cue company ringer to propose Tesco's OKRd, like Pimlico Plumbers, is a fantastic organisation with a well deserved reputation)
Tuesday 20 January 2004 12.08pm
Grab a 1 or 188 from Tower Bridge Road and that will take you to Canada Water for a better Tesco's experience.....
Jai
Tuesday 20 January 2004 12.41pm
Jubilee to Canary Wharf - Waitrose...

Varkenslachter
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: