Proposed Tabard Square development

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 5 March 2002 10.13am
By my calculations (not necessarily to be relied on) anyone wishing to comment on the application for planning permission for 'Tabard Square', Borough SE1 (formerly Long Lane Studios) needs to do so in the next day or two.

For those unaware of the proposal it is for residential and commercial property to be built in the area bordered by Tabard Street, Long Lane and Sterry Street. It includes a proposed 26 storey tower on the Long Lane boundary and various other buidings of around nine storeys around the perimeter of the development.

By way of comparison Guys Hospital is 29 storeys high, Tabard Gardens Estate is predominantly four storeys and the houses that back onto Sterry Street are two storeys tall.

There's more information and a scale model at the John Harvard library on Borough High Street if you're interested.

If you have any comments, for or against, then send them to: Head of Planning, Southwark Planning, Portland Street, London SE17 2ES quoting reference number 9900118.
Jan
Wednesday 6 March 2002 7.21am
Ant,

I just can't place Sterry Street, is that opposite Crosby Row? when I finish work today I am going to hotfoot it down to John Harvard.

let me get this right, 26 storey...equals approximately give or take a few feet.... TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY FEET HIGH! nice one.......overlooking peoples bedrooms, another carbuncle as our fox hunting prince would say.
Another off shore company making a killing.......
I dunno...
Jan
Wednesday 6 March 2002 7.23am
p,s, is that bit not a leper burial ground? I think there wasa leper hospital nearby....
Wednesday 6 March 2002 12.43pm
If you're walking up Tabard Street away from Borough High Street, Sterry Street is a wee dead end road on the left just before you cross Pilgrimage Street. This link may or may not work:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=532644&Y=179623&A=Y&Z=1

I spoke to someone in the plannng office yesterday and they are definitely still accepting comments from the public. The case officer to address them to is Donna D'Alessandro and make clear they are for the Tabard Square development under consideration as there was a previous application that was granted for a far more low-rise development.

If anyone wants a copy of the letter I submitted they are more than welcome. I have to say it was anti rather than pro.

With regards to it being a former burial site for lepers...I have no idea. At the moment it is most definitely a rubble strewn buidling site. Anyone else know about this?
Wednesday 6 March 2002 3.13pm
What is it about tall buildings that brings out the bile in people?

Tall buildings mean less traffic, less pollution, less commuting - and more public space, since they take up less room. We can get more people into the centre, closer to where they work, which is good for neignbourhoods. Also bring in more tax for local government , as well as private sector investment.
jan
Wednesday 6 March 2002 4.23pm
Thanks Ant,
I know where now, it used to run into Long Lane, pass the old Chaucer Buildings......how do I get a copy of your objections, as I will be shattered when I get home...

Alistair,
taller buildings mean more people squeezed in a smaller ground area, 26 floors, possibly 4 flats per storey, about 104 homes, all with cars, unless they are all dutch or chinese!..... beside I like being bilous......
Wednesday 6 March 2002 5.33pm
Alistair

Nothing wrong with tall buildings per se. In fact I rather like them in the right spot like the City and wouldn't mind working in one. It's just I don't want to live in one, stare at one out of my window, live in the shadow of one, get caught up in, breath the fumes of or listen to the traffic generated by one.

The developers of this particular spot had a very adequate low(er) rise proposal granted permission. I preferred that option, maybe you don't. Anyway, you've got the address of the planning office. As a local resident if you want to write with your positive comments you're quite at liberty to do so.
Wednesday 6 March 2002 6.00pm
Hi Ant,

I'm sorry, I don't really know anything about this particular development, so it's a little silly to have an opinion.

My points are general: one tall building can replace lots of low buildings, thereby giving back space on ground level - piazzas and open spaces. Developers can be leant upon to provide that space.

People have to live somewhere - better to live close to work and cut out the commute. That's good for everyone - far from increasing traffic, tall buildings reduce it. And if people DO use the car, they spend less time clogging up the roads. (I live in Webber St and cycle)

The benefits for neighborhoods are also evident - more free-spending people create a better environment, there's more money for public services, and property prices rise. The negatives are that poorer people get priced out (or sell up at a profit and leave), and that you get less sunshine on the ground.

London's main "life-style" problems surely stem from our ungainly urban sprawl and the appalling transport system. If London was taller, I reckon people's quality of life would improve all round.
Jan
Wednesday 6 March 2002 9.32pm
and the children could play in the shadow of the tower blocks, and never see the sun go down unless they live in the penthouse?

Alistair where can children play? no gardens, no school playgrounds to go to Play Centre ( the council obviously would have sold it's few remaining schools off by then on the grounds of falling attendances!)

I don't know what the answer is, but somehow forcing people to accept against their will high rise living isnt one of them.

p.s. your not related to Fred Manson, director of planning ( or is it x-director?) he too wants to creat a brand new southwark by permitting some ghastly building up at London Bridge that will dwarf our beautiful cathedral.....
He is canadian.. no roots or culture you see!
apologies to any nice canadian people reading this!
jan
Tuesday 12 March 2002 7.51am
Ant,

just seen latest description, now it's 36 floors.......
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: