Birds in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Thursday 15 January 2009 8.39am
The only time the children had ever seen a robin, other than on Christmas cards, was some years back on one of our few excursions to the country.

But suddenly there is a robin in our (very small) garden. He seems to like hanging out in the bunny-run. The bunnies are indifferent.

We have no idea where he came from. Are there many robins in SE1?

Wwe have also never seen a sparrow. But plenty of tits, magpies and rooks.
Thursday 15 January 2009 8.52am
We have a robin Sarah, a chirpy bossy little devil who shoos all others away.
We used to have such a variety of birds in our gardens until another 2 cats arrived, unfortunately cats are excellent hunters.

so where we had a full range of birdlife we now have a few sparrows, bluetits, coal tits, one or two siskins, our robin, a stroppy noise wren.crows, the occasional jay..and of course the beautiful starlings oh yes and blackbirds.
Thursday 15 January 2009 9.10am
Two robins (without wishing to create robin envy) come to my small balcony in the Shad Thames area, and are particularly partial to seed. Other visitors (aside from some incredibly greedy woodpigeons) include blackbirds, blue and great tits, greenfinches, sparrows, the occasional miniscule wren and......incredibly, a jay!!! Where the hell that one lives is anyones guess. I am convinced that bird life is improving in SE1 over recent years, I assume down to better air quality. Of course we can all do our bit by keeping them well fed (and watered) during the cold snaps, and putting out suitable food (no peanuts or bread!) during the nesting season from end March. Hope your robin returns again and again!
Thursday 15 January 2009 9.34am
I heard a nightingale last night....
Thursday 15 January 2009 9.58am
I get seagulls on my balcony quite often. They're big brutes - not terribly welcome.
Thursday 15 January 2009 10.07am
There is a robin that greets me every time I go to the Diversity Garden in Library St. I think it's because he knows I'm going to be digging and will therefore be serving him big fats worms. I am always torn between protecting the worms and feeding him. Amazingly, he has also appeared (pretty sure it was the same one) at another of my gardening stints close by. Who knows what will happen to him when the Garden is razed and replaced by fugly houses...

LisaJ
I, too, think I have heard a nightingale in the middle of the night on several occasions. The song has been so beautiful, I assume it is but would love to be sure.

A couple of sumemrs ago, there was a bird of prey of some sort on the roof of Markstone House in Lancaster St. for quite a few days.

Other than that, that dreadful noise that magpies make is really very irritating.
Thursday 15 January 2009 10.12am
There's a robin that visits/owns the beer garden of The Ship on the junction of Borough High Street and Borough Road. You can feed it from your hand.
There are a lot of blackbirds in the area south of St. Thomas St.
I think I read somewhere that the cleaner air means more of the insects that birds eat. There's definitely greater variety in the past few years.
Thursday 15 January 2009 10.59am
I must have been the most frustrated naturalist as a child. Born in 1943 in Blackfriars I was always on the outlook for birds or any kind of wildlife so I can verify that apart from pigeons and sparrows we didn't even have blackbirds or starlings in our immediate area.

One day I heard and actually saw a thrush when I was about fourteen but that was near Lambeth Palace.

Blue tits and robins! Wow!
Thursday 15 January 2009 11.00am
Gary when I first saw a Jay sitting on our fence I remarked to my daughter I had just seen a parrot that must have escaped..if thats the case two have because there's on opposite fence she replied..really beautiful birds the books don't do them justice.
Thursday 15 January 2009 11.19am
There are at least a pair of Pied Wagtails who live in Potters Fields and can often be seen there or around More London. Lovely little birds.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: