New fruit & veg stall on TBR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 15 January 2009 1.54pm
Nice to see a fruit & veg stall has opened up again on Tower Bridge Rd. just beyond where it meets the top of Bermondsey St. Pleasant guy with not much English but a big smile. The produce I've bought has been good and - though I do use supermarkets too - it's great to deal with an independent trader.
Thursday 15 January 2009 2.42pm
That's good, wonder if he's from the shop that closes down on corner st james road/blue..they had a variety of produce from 'around the world'
Friday 16 January 2009 9.38am
He used to own the shop that he is directly in front of a few years ago, selling Middle Eastern food. The last owners have recently shut it down (structural problems inside, apparently)

The chap who doesn't speak much English works for the very friendly Egyptian guy who owned the shop a few years back and now owns the new stall.

I spoke to him the other day and he told me he had not yet made a profit in the 4 or so weeks he had opened set the stall-up. Which is a shame, as he sells reasonably good quality produce. You can buy exotic fruits there which you can't get ordinarily get supermarkets like custard apples (mmmm) and the like.

It would be nice if more local people gave him support but buying from hom. I think its a massive imporovemtn on the previos stall that was there.

No connection, in case anyone is wondering.
Jac
Friday 16 January 2009 9.45am
Hopefully he will give it enough time for people to get used to him being there. I used to use old fruit and veg stall but over time the variety and quality dropped so i find myself using it less and less. But i noticed the new stall monday and it looked quite good, so shall give it a try. shame the Middle eastern food shop has gone at one stage that was really good especially good olives!
Friday 16 January 2009 9.56am
I tried to persuade him to re-open the shop...but apparently the structural problems inside are too costly to remedy. He also said, the shop dodnt do that well when he did own it. He told me he owns another shop near the Old Kent Road...where he may have those olives :) No idea where it is though.
Friday 16 January 2009 12.05pm
Not that my purchasing power's going to change his world but I'm definitely going to make sure I keep buying. He's a valuable resource more or less on my doorstep and I guess it's use it or lose it.
Friday 16 January 2009 12.57pm
The power of SE1 Forum: I will out, forthwith, Bag for Life in hand :p, in search of Parsnips and Bananas and who knows what exotica!
yas
Saturday 17 January 2009 12.00am
Bought some delicious pomegranates from him for 1 quid! You can't get those at the new Sainsbury's!

While we are on the topic of local shops on TBR... sad to see the lighting shop close down. But good to see that Marmelade (can't really describe what kind of shop they are trying to be!) seem to be surviving.
Saturday 17 January 2009 10.53am
Yes, his prices seem very good too. I came away with two - recycled :) - carrier bags full for a total of 3.42. Beats carrying stuff back from East St.
Monday 19 January 2009 7.42am
Good produce, friendly service, keen prices.

Ticks all the boxes for me.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: