Nightingale

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 16 January 2009 12.46am
It's lovely to hear the song of,I presume, a nightingale in a london Plane in the Grange Road area. He seems to be singing most nights and is singing right now. Ahhh...
Jac
Friday 16 January 2009 9.48am
Your post attracts an ad for pest control. I wonder how long before someone complains of the noise it makes during the night and calls them in? Seriously though I have heard it too near Decima street/wilds rents. It is lovely to hear.
Friday 16 January 2009 10.15am
Isn't it more likely to be a blackbird, confused by the bright street lights and singing his dawn chorus all night?
Friday 16 January 2009 8.05pm
When I lived in Law Street (just off Wild's Rents) I used to occasionally hear something like that when I was up around dawn (not often, as a student).

There is another recent thread about birdlife which corroborates the nightingale theory!
Saturday 17 January 2009 1.24am
It's 1:15 am and I can hear a blackbird outside singing away - they have a beautiful song, and like Sarah, I'm wondering if the nightingale is really a blackbird. Nightingales don't usually arrive here until later in the year, and need a lot of woodland/hedgerow cover as they are ground nesters. They are getting quite rare.
Sunday 18 January 2009 11.39am
Yes, I will concede that it may well be a lonely male blackbird singing for all his worth. Lovely anyway.
Hope he finds himself a bird(!)
Monday 19 January 2009 12.04am
Kath - if he flies down Bacon Grove he will find a female blackbird making plans to move into a nest made by pigeons last year!
Monday 19 January 2009 9.35am
We too have birds singing throughout the night in Searles Road but I was told they are robins and not nightingales or blackbirds, just thought I would throw that into the mix!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: