Flatpack and D.I.Y help

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 16 January 2009 2.13pm
I am rubbish at DIY and just can't handle flatpack stuff....so was wondering, if anyone knows of a good handyman type who can help me out, hopefully reasonably priced

Thanks
Friday 16 January 2009 3.35pm
Both reasonable, and reasonably priced,
you'll be wanting
Ritchie on 07515 510 653
Sunday 18 January 2009 11.08am
I have also used this company:
http://www.justflatpack.co.uk/

They will go to Ikea or wherever, buy the furniture, bring it to your house, assemble it, and take away the packaging. Their prices are reasonable.
Monday 19 January 2009 12.22am
Wow - convenience comes at a price. 50 minimum assembly charge (25 per item); 20 delivery fee then 15 to take away the packaging.

Laphroaig wrote:
I have also used this company:
http://www.justflatpack.co.uk/

They will go to Ikea or wherever, buy the furniture, bring it to your house, assemble it, and take away the packaging. Their prices are reasonable.
Monday 19 January 2009 12.36am
Ikea flatpack assembly is quite therapeutic, tho my manly wrists can get tired with repetitive, uh, assembling. It's the buying and collection which is hell and apparently the prime cause of divorce in the Western world.
Monday 19 January 2009 8.05am
Ikea charged 30 pounds delivery several years ago.From my point of view that company would be good value,..as I dont think ikea have a service for less mobile customers..like going to shelves racks etc., and trying to find anyone to help there is difficult unless you are ordering three pieces etc.
Monday 19 January 2009 9.23am
Mogoot, yes, but it was worth the money for me. I moved from another country into an unfurnished flat and needed furniture (and everything else). I have no car, no tools, and live alone. Ikea delivers to the building door, not to your flat, and its delivery charges are not cheap, as Jan says. I did order a bed frame directly from Ikea, which I put together myself, but the delivery experience was not great. The date on the order form was just an "estimate", they told me after I ordered, and I ended up having to wait several weeks to get it.

When I used this company, I ordered a few things that I had them just buy and deliver, which I put together myself, and larger pieces that I had them put together. When they opened the boxes for the sideboard I ordered, they discovered the longest piece (183 cm by 50 cm) was broken in half. They took it back and got a replacement and didn't charge me anything extra. What would I have done if I had just had Ikea deliver it?

Obviously not everyone needs the service, but I think it's brilliant for those who do.

Jan, I know a consultant who works on Ikea's systems. I told him recently that I wished Ikea would let you order everything they have on the internet, instead of just some items. He said they deliberately choose not to because they want people to come in the store, as impulse items constitute a lot of their sales. It's the same reason you are directed to walk through the whole place to get through to the tills. Personally I think it's idiotic, as I would have bought a lot more things from them if I could have ordered them. Trekking out there on the train and tram and then carrying items back in a bag is not something I want to do very often.
Monday 19 January 2009 9.41am
I recently bought bookcases from Ikea online. 35 delivery, to my flat, not the building door.

I have to say, I like putting flat packs together. I mean I really like it. Am I a pervert?
Monday 19 January 2009 11.47am
No, but next time I need something put together I'll call you! ;-)

You're lucky that they brought it to your flat door. It's not their policy (or at least wasn't last summer), and the guy who delivered the bed frame did not help me past the building door.
Monday 19 January 2009 1.31pm
My friend in the council tower block on Lant Street had Ikea stuff delivered to his flat too. 10th floor. They brought them into the living room right where I wanted to put them together (friend was at work).
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: