SE1 on the 1911 census

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 18 January 2009 11.54am
Anyone looked up their home or family yet on the 1911 census? It's the first census that people filled in for themselves, which eliminates a lot of the errors on previous censuses -- although it maybe causes other errors.

I am researching my family in the north-east, but those counties are not available to view yet, so meanwhile I have looked up my SE1 home.

FWIW I live on the site of the old County Terrace Tavern on New Kent Road, and I can see that in 1911 the pub was run by a couple called James and Ellen Mather. The Mathers were both around 40, so may well have run the place for the next few decades. As well as their 17-year old son, who was an engineer apprentice, there were 4 other live-in staff. A married couple called the Stilwells were the cook and barman, and there were two barmaids including the marvellously named Sarah Onions.
Sunday 18 January 2009 12.42pm
It's fascinating! I managed to spend most of yesterday trying to track down people & places. However, I've been looking up family who were on the 1901 census but don't appear in the 1911 census, I think there's quite a bit still missing in London, for instance a whole row of houses that appear on the 1901, don't appear on the 1911 - they were definitely there in 1911, odd.
Zoe
Sunday 18 January 2009 9.52pm
I've done electoral registration, and I've found a lot depends on the committment of the individual officer, I'm sure it was no different in 1911.

I see it as a challenge, and like to hunt down obscure streets that don't exist on the map, but have had people registering in previous years. I know they exist, but where...I have climbed over walls to get to places when I couldn't work out how to get into a cul-de-sac, and once climbed some low branches on a tree to peer into the next street (I now use google earth, it's much easier).

However, lots of my colleagues will give up if there's a large dog at the entrance to a block, they just don't seeem to see the fun of the challenge.

However, I still have a painful knee from where I fell down some concrete stairs in Rowland Hill House, so it's not all fun and games, before you all rush out to sign up :-)
Monday 19 January 2009 8.18am
Andrew there was a club I think corner of tower bridge road near the fish shop area where a Paddy O'nions sadly got shot about tqenty years ago.
Monday 19 January 2009 2.44pm
i started a previous thread because I was looking for the Weed family who I was told lived around here. I found the people and have just looked at the 1911 census to discover they lived in Hackney and the street they lived in is still there! I found out they had separated and my grandmother took her three sons to live in Torquay, where most of my family on my father's side still live. I had not met any of them until last year, then met my half brother and my half sister, which was very exciting.

http://barcelonavisit.com
Holiday flat in Barcelona

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: