Best Sunday lunch in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 19 January 2009 8.44pm
Recently moved to SE1 living on Southwark Bridge Road. Have been trying to find somewhere decent for a proper traditional Sunday Roast for a few weeks. Tried The Trinity next to Borough Station which was fantastic. Very tasty and excellent portions plus very friendly staff.
Yesterday tried the Southwark Tavern opposite Brindisa. The guy behind the bar barely understood what we wanted and the food came in less than minute (I kid you not!) so didn't feel particularly fresh. Also, not much meat.

Where do you guys recommend for a good traditional sunday roast please?
Monday 19 January 2009 8.47pm
Welcome to SE1 and the forum.

This similar thread from last autumn is probably worth a look:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/96209

and I'm sure people will have new/updated recommendations too.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 20 January 2009 4.49pm
I don't think you can beat the Royal Oak, they also do partridge, pheasant and duck. My favourite sunday regime is to go down the Royal Oak for lunch and a couple of pints of mild/pale ale, then down the Trinity to read the newspapers and listen to the music. Nice.
Thursday 22 January 2009 11.02pm
My vote, too goes to the Royal Oak. It's a fantastic pub and Frank and John do an amazing Sunday lunch.

Last week i was part of a group of 10 who wanted to lunch there but could not because it was packed out, so we went to the Roebuck on Great Dover Street and had a great afternoon.

Both these pubs are hidden gems in SE1 so perhaps we should agree a conspiracy of silence to preserve them for we local residents

Tim
Friday 23 January 2009 9.37am
timmcn wrote:
perhaps we should agree a conspiracy of silence to preserve them for we local residents
Tim

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 15 August 2010 1.56pm
On the recommendations of this message board, I went to The Royal Oak with my other half. I was looking forward to it - probably not the most sophisticated of tastes but a Sunday roast is one of my favourite meals. Unfortunately we were under whelmed.

The food was fine but not particularly good - we had the duck and the pork. I enjoyed the duck but the pork had very little meat - mainly stuffing. The gravy tasted fatty and the roast potatoes were tough, like they had been sitting around for a few hours. Admittedly it was 3:30pm when we ordered but I would have thought that this is their peak time; it was certainly busy. On the positive side there was a generous portion of vegetables.

What may not have helped was a guy sat a few feet away rotating the f and c words like he was auditioning for a remake of Scarface.

I wouldn't tell anyone not to go there but am surprised it is put up as the best place in SE1 for a roast, and slightly disappointed! Admittedly I have been to only a few locals for a roast - The Woolpack I seem to remember being better.

I would recommend Roast above Borough Market but it is in another price bracket and let down slightly by the service.
Sunday 15 August 2010 3.54pm
Well, the Royal Oak gets my vote too. Perhaps Saus had a bad one (it happens folks) but having tried many a Sunday Roasts in the 14 years of living here - the Royal Oak is head and shoulders above the rest. Hope word doesn't get around too much as space is limited in that place!
Sunday 15 August 2010 3.54pm
Prior to June 24th. 1961, ( a day that like December 7th. 1941, will live in infamy), it was at my old Mum's place at The Elephant.
However, on that day I innocently walked into St. Crispin's church in Bermondsey and emerged a short while later as a fully fledged married man.
Since then the best place for Sunday lunch has been chez Pepper, actually in SE16, but with an honourable mention to my mother-in-law's place in SE15.
Monday 16 August 2010 6.53am
hmmm the Royal Oak getting very shabby these days and IMHO it needs a clean up and a bit of a refurb. as for sunday lunch the Woolpack and Britannia are recommended but tried the Goldsmith in Southwar Bridge Road yesterday and was very impressed
Monday 16 August 2010 8.22am
I realise it's a bit 'corporate' but Butler's Wharf Chop House does a great Sunday Roast. And it's a fixed price menu sunday lunchtime - 26 for 3 courses.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: