Waterloo Road History

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 23 January 2009 7.14pm
Hi everyone!

I am doing some family research and I have found out that my great great grandmother was a servant at 104 Waterloo road around 1914 and had my great grandfather in the waterloo road area.

I am just interested about what 104 waterloo road is now and any history that anyone has of the area for interest. Also does anyone know where the records such as the electoral role for waterloo road are kept now?

Thank you

Saturday 24 January 2009 2.04am
Hi Muppett88,

There is an excellent website called Historical Directories which has the London Post Office directory for 1915 Historical Directories

104 Waterloo Road appears to be at the northern end, on the West side, just beyond the railway bridge near Mepham Street. It is listed as a tobacconists run by Mrs Alice Osborne.

Try Lambeth Archives for the electoral rolls, though your GG grandmother won't have had the vote back then although Mrs Osborne may have been entitled to vote in local elections.

The site itself is now where the bus stops are, oposite St John's church.

Good luck with your research!
Saturday 24 January 2009 9.13am
Hi Auntie Pat,

Thank you so so much for your reply and your very useful information. You have opened up more avenues for us to explore just as we had thought we had come to a dead end.

I am off now to look at the directories to see what i can find!

Thanks once again

Sunday 25 January 2009 12.49am
You're welcome.
Monday 26 January 2009 9.59am
As Waterloo Road is on the borders of SOuthwark and lambeth I recommend that you contact Southwark Local History Library - which is currently at Peckham Library (second floor) whilst the John Harvard Library is refurbished.
Most of the resources currently on open access in the library will be available at Peckham library e.g. books, pamphlets, cuttings, illustrations, maps, directories, electoral registers, microfilm/fiche, publications for sale. Archives and reserve stock items will be unavailable for the whole of the relocation period. Their email is local.history.library@southwark.gov.uk and the telephone is 020 7403 3782.
They are fantastic.
Monday 26 January 2009 12.04pm
Not so wonderful if you happen to live abroad. I couldn't even get a reply from them nor any Historical Society in the area or come to that any function or lecture event organisers on local history.

We ex-pats must trawl other sources on the internet to gather information or rely on Se1 contacts to give us information or pointers.

The only replies I've received have been from the excellent Peabody Trust archivists who couldn't have been more helpful.

Most recent example of complete indifference to those of us abroad is my enquiry to St John's Church in Waterloo Road asking what happened to the old granite fountain in the old burial ground gardens or if they could suggest whom I should contact to find out.

No reply naturally, we simply don't exist.
Monday 26 January 2009 8.58pm
If you want a feel for the Waterloo Road in the late 1920s/early 1930s, look at chapter XXIV of Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London where he describes the neighbourhood and a Waterloo Road 'doss-house'. Although Orwell hid the names of most of the places he went to, he didn't feel the need to do so here.

On reading that, maybe the Travelodge and budget Hilton are an improvement.
Tuesday 27 January 2009 12.41am
So true Phil.. I love Orwell but he put me off of eating out for a long, long time. LOL!
Tuesday 27 January 2009 8.36am
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all you relpies, some very usefull information.

Think i will try and contact the libaries that were mentioned and see if i have any luck there as i have seem to come to a brickwall in my family tree at this point! Hopefully some other records might give me a few more clues! :)

That book also seems like a good read to get a feel of how waterloo road was.

Thanks again!

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: