Vegetarian Haggis?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Sunday 25 January 2009 9.39pm
Karen I wrote:
Have I lost the plot? There is no such thing as a vegetarian haggis. A haggis is what it is, and it is made from meat.

Theres isnt much meat in haggis, it is just lots of the bits of a dead animal you wouldnt normally eat with a bit of spice to mask the vileness. Traditional now but harks back to a time when everyone in parts of Scotland were much more self suffiecient had thier own cow for milk and a few sheep maybe some hens for eggs a little plot of land and not much more. Every edible part of the animal had to be used & thats why we have haggis. Veggie or trad is as much a matter of personal preference. Im not vegetarian but very Scottish and I cant stand traditional haggis but will eat the veggie if its under my nose.
Sunday 25 January 2009 9.52pm
bits of animal that you wouldn't eat maybe, many people - me included enjoy those elements of an animal. the concept of eating more than the bland lean bits of an animal needs to change. gradually people are understanding that inventive cooking by ancestors that didnt have much spare income to source the finest bits of meat, they had to use the imagination and skill to create a good meal - that these are skills that could come in handy again
Sunday 25 January 2009 10.09pm
Vegetarian haggis is basically just like spicy, vegetable-y stuffing - and who doesn't enjoy the excuse to have stuffing as the basis for a meal?!

Apparently it was created largely in jest, but now vegetarian haggis makes up 25% of the whole haggis market in the UK. I guess it's not just vegetarians who dont like the sound of the contents the omnivorous version!

Thanks for the tips, I didnt get one in time for tonight but I'm going to try and find one tomorrow, perhaps it'll even be reduced to clear ...
Sunday 25 January 2009 10.17pm
I'd have thought a vegetarian haggis was a contradiction in terms.
Sunday 25 January 2009 10.49pm
Hi guys, sorry I've been in Birmingham at a Vegan Soc weekend, bit late, but still....
cruelty free. No cholesterol either, suitable for Muslim, Jew, Hindu & Humanist, Sikh & Vegeterian too, smaller carbon footprint than meaty haggis, and looks tasty too!
Monday 26 January 2009 9.30am
Am I the only one who likes both? Thoughtfully prepared veggie food can give the meat stuff a run for it's money, sometimes. I do love the food at the Anchor and Hope though!
Monday 26 January 2009 10.15am
boroughbloke wrote:
I'd have thought a vegetarian haggis was a contradiction in terms.

As well as vegetarian sausages, quorn chicken pieces and alcohol-free cocktails?!

If it tastes nice and you like it, who cares!!
Monday 26 January 2009 12.01pm
babbs wrote:
As well as vegetarian sausages, quorn chicken pieces and alcohol-free cocktails?!
If it tastes nice and you like it, who cares!!

Because you lose the meaning of words in such constructions?

Example: Martini. A martini is gin and vermouth, period. One permissible variation, a vodka martini. There is a perfectly good word for all these drinks with Midori and apples and whatnot, which is cocktails.
Monday 26 January 2009 3.10pm
I don't see that there is any loss of the meaning in 'Vegetarian Haggis'. I would interpret that as a haggis suitable for vegetarians.
Tuesday 27 January 2009 12.59am
Hang on a minute!

Isn't haggis basically offal, oats and spices stuffed in an intestine?

So if you take away the meat and the intestine, don't you end up with spiced vegie porridge?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: