Vegetarian Haggis?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Tuesday 27 January 2009 1.10am
Where does the word 'offal' come from?
Tuesday 27 January 2009 7.54am
I could be wrong but I think what tends to happen when you have a vegetarian version of something is that they do replace the meat with something else, rather than just taking the meat away...
"The Macsween vegetarian haggis consists of kidney beans, lentils, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, carrots, turnip, mushrooms and vegetable margarine, together with the traditional ingredients of oatmeal, onions and our special blend of spices and seasoning."
Tuesday 27 January 2009 10.48am
I suppose its only a matter of time before we see a vegetarian topside roast or mock bacon rashers. I'm as near a vegetarian as its possible to be, but this mock everything only puts me off.

When will food producers realize that by giving an entirely new name to a food product is more likely to entice people to try it?

I don't know about you guys but I've never been tempted by tinned mock sausage links, tinned nut loaf or boxes of soy meat substitute. Now if the same articles were sold freshly prepared, minus preservatives and junk and properly promoted as a healthy alternative, I'd be happy to give them a go.

I know they would be more expensive but people on low incomes rarely buy vegetarian products as they are already too expensive. Bigger turnover, more competition and the prices would fall, then we could all afford to eat healthy alternatives.
Tuesday 27 January 2009 10.53am
I'm sure they're marketed at 'lazy veggies, oh and the parents/friends of veggies who want to serve meat & two veg & can simply replace the meat with a 'substitute'.
Tuesday 27 January 2009 11.07am
Offal

1. The general term for parts of an animal other than meat (muscle tissue) that include internal edible parts (heart, brains, liver, etc.) and also extremities (feet, head, tongue, etc.).

2. Refuse; rubbish.

[Middle English : of-, off (from Old English, from of; see apo- in Indo-European roots) + fal, fall.]
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network