Dragon Castle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
melodyb Monday 26 January 2009 6.03pm
hi,

does anyone know if the dragon castle chinese restaurant is still open on walworth road?
is it still good?
Colinio Monday 26 January 2009 6.20pm
it is open and it's fantastic!

dim sum is evenings only, I think, but the whole menu is good and atmosphere/decor pretty unusual if you're used to pokey west end places.

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/reviews/10798.html

no connection
James Hatts Monday 26 January 2009 6.25pm
Worth mentioning that it now also has a sister restaurant - Dragon Inn - in SE1 on Old Kent Road.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
Colinio Monday 26 January 2009 6.27pm
correction to my earlier post - dim sum is daytime rather than evening.
kenhaynes Tuesday 27 January 2009 5.47pm
I too think DC is fantastic, and am a keen supporter. Going on Sunday in fact. However, if you go in cold weather be warned. The heating is inadequate and it gets quite cold. You will need woolies, a hat and scarf. I went with the girlfriend and 11 year old daughter on New Years Eve and we had to leave after the first course (which was scrummy) as we were so so cold. The staff were great, only charged us for drinks, and told us that they had repeatedly lobbied the owner to upgrade the heating but with no success.

Does anyone know. Is the Dragon Inn as good?
W&D Wednesday 28 January 2009 10.09am
Agree with all of the above, including the point about the heating! Last time we went we were given our own personal radiator at the table...although this was an early Wednesday lunchtime so the same level of service may not be maintained on busy Saturday evenings!

Would be intrigued to know how the Dragon Inn is: the two restaurants are roughly equidistant from my house. Almost don't want to go for fear of wasting a Dragon Castle trip!

My review of Dragon Castle is here.
La Martinet Wednesday 28 January 2009 1.02pm
Visited the Dragon Castle last week for the first time, on recommendation from here, and agree with the above on the quality of the food, and the heating!

A word of warning though: unless you are used to eating vast quantities, beware the set menus. We ordered one for two people and it could have fed at least three, if not four. It was all so delicious, we had to ask for a doggy bag, so breakfast was interesting...

I thought the price very reasonable too, especially given the quality: 45 for the huge amount of food, a glass of wine and two soft drinks.

In my view, better-than-Chinatown food, at E&C prices. Marvellous!
Pen Monday 2 February 2009 9.10am
The Dim Sum is to die for at Dragon Castle. It's half the price of China Town yet twice as good.

The crab in the evening is also fab.

Do wrap up warm or ask to sit by a radiator.

I was interested to hear about Dragon Inn and would love to hear also from anyone who has been there.
INDOMIE Monday 2 February 2009 10.50am
10% off voucher in the south london press last week!
SophieLondon Monday 2 February 2009 8.19pm
love the food and I second the warning about set menus - had the hungry persons vegetarian menu (the veggie banquet?) for two people and despite normally reasonably healthy appetites could barely stagger out of the restaurant (ok didn't think of the doggy bag option)... but I love the food and just couldn't leave it ;-) Not tried the Old Kent Rd one yet - anyone got feedback??
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions