can anyone help?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 6 March 2002 3.30am
Hi
I'm a student from portsmouth, about to start a research project on the 'south bank' area and would be really really grateful if anyone could recommend particular areas of interest apart from the main touristy type attractions.

We have to delve a bit deeper into our chosen areas - history/community/changes over the years/what its like to live there/what types of people live and/or work there, etc. As well as a visual record of interesting buildings, people, etc. (it's for a communications design degree - so visual input is important)

So basically I would love some suggestions for good places to:
photograph
record sound/video
get local information (historical/contemporary)
generally find things that other people will be interested to find out about (i'm being 'peer' assessed by other students)

I would also be eternally grateful if anyone could email me what they think of the area, what could be improved - how things have changed (good/bad?) or just a memory they have of the place. Anything at all really would be a massive help! my email's: shiney_monkey@hotmail.com

finally - are there any areas I should avoid - I read a couple of the postings on muggings - and my friend and I will be carrying cameras and maybe video cameras - will we be ok? as you may have guessed i'm not from the area - I live in portsmouth but chose this area for my project because I've visited a couple of times and liked the atmosphere and thought it a really interesting place.

anyway enough of my wittering on! thanks for your time,
caroline
Wednesday 6 March 2002 3.54am
hi its me (caroline) again - i've just realised that even though I said 'south bank' area - I've been told by my tutor that I can interpret this as 'areas on the south bank' i.e. not just the festival hall area, but roughly going from the eye to the tate modern. (so need tips about the whole area -I've got some really good info from this site and the southbank site, but was really after a more personal view)

I don't know how far to go back from the river though (how far can you go from the river before you're not on the south bank?) sorry, so many questions.....
thanks again
caroline
Joanna
Wednesday 6 March 2002 1.43pm
Hi Caroline,

I have recently read two very good (and quite concise)books about the history of Southwark (which includes the south bank.) They are Southwark: an illustrated history and another which I can't remember the exact title of, but which has photos of the river years ago and now which are featured one above the other so you can directly compare the changes. They talk about how the area has changed in composition as well, so you can fill in some of the gaps when you interview people.

There's also a good website about the Coin Street developers and how they saved the Oxo Tower from demolition at http://resurgence.gn.apc.org/184/koziell.htm

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project,

Joanna
Saturday 16 March 2002 2.18pm
Theres a great book about the Lower Marsh/Waterloo area called Lambeth Marsh and available from the author in the second hand bookshop at 20 Lower Marsh. It's a very scholarly work and contains everything you could wish to know about the westerly part of your site. Good luck!
Monday 25 March 2002 3.21pm
The website www.southbanklondon.com has a section that includes reminiscences of the area. Go to: http://www.southbanklondon.com/walk_this_way/memories/index.htm
Tuesday 26 March 2002 9.21am
Have you looked at www.christchurchsouthwark.uk? There is a page with some stained glass windows and accompanying text. You could also pick up a booklet from here on the same subject (or it could be sent to you). Do come and view the windows. I could also put you in touch with some people who can give you useful historical insights if you would like to do some interviews.
Thursday 25 April 2002 11.26pm
thanks very much for your help guys - much appreciated.

David - are any of these people on email? my deadline's looming, so it would be great to have a couple of stories that I could print out and add to my resource sketchbook. if not, don't worry - my fault for not getting on to this sooner! thanks for the suggestions anyway - I will come and see the windows when I come up next, and visit the website in a minute!

thanks again you've all been brill,
caroline

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: