Police Bashing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Friday 30 January 2009 10.10am
...I thought was unfair until last night when I was arrested for trying to prevent someone being brutalised by the police. Now, I'm choosing my words carefully here. It's no exaggeration to say that he was being restrained with unnecessary and excessive force at which point I remonstrated with an officer, quietly and reasonably and was met with shouting at me to "Stand Off" or I would be arrested. How could I stand by and watch this poor chap - whatever he may or may not have done - be treated in this way? He was clearly in great distress and pain and I was very worrried for his safety. My FPN says"used insulting words and threatening behaviour causing harrassment, alarm and distress". This is a lie. How could it be that I could cause these things to a trained police officer who is young enough to be my grandson? If it were true, I would raise my hands and say it's a fair cop, I was out of order and the like and paid the fine like a good boy. But it is not true. Furthermore, the police failed to call my partner until 3am (the arrest was just before 11) and I was not released until 4 this morning. I am very alarmed by this experience. I have never been arrested before. I have had no cause to be arrested ever and I am very very worried about what might have happened to the guy I tried to assist. My faith in the police has now gone and I think that is terrible. If this can happen to me, it could happen to anyone. Is this a trend?
Friday 30 January 2009 10.36am
I think you could benefit from talking to Simon Hughes
our MP.I'm assuming the incident happened in this area

http://www.simonhughes.org.uk/contact/

020 7403 2860

also possibly the independentpolice complaints commission

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/index/complaints.htm
Friday 30 January 2009 10.43am
Normal police behaviour, especially the lying.
Friday 30 January 2009 10.55am
Thanks Nigel - I'll be contacting my local councillors and Liberty too.
Beetroot - I would never have believed it really until last night. It was down to one over-zealous officer in particular whom I consider to be a menace, particularly when it come to relations with the public. Naturally, his colleagues will back him up and that's understandable I suppose. The Police now have my DNA, my finger, thumb and palm prints which will, no doubt help their targets. It's just appalling.
Friday 30 January 2009 11.00am
I notice that Simon Hughes is at the Elephant and Castle today conducting an employment surgery.I'm sure he would take time out for a matter like this.
Friday 30 January 2009 11.39am
They clearly considered you were not doing anything that was obstructing them or they would have given you a ticket for that offence. So it does seem very petty. Good luck with your complaint.
Friday 30 January 2009 11.42am
Thanks Nigel - I'm due to see Simon at around midday.
Colinio - thanks to you too.
Friday 30 January 2009 12.14pm
JayBee, this is a horrible story. How frightening for your partner too. If it was indeed down to one over-sealous officer I do hope Simon Hughes will help you to take some action which will allow your faith in the police to be restored.
Friday 30 January 2009 1.35pm
I just met with Simon and he was most helpful and supportive and gave good sound advice.
He's a good man.
I'll be contesting the FPN in court.
Thanks all.
Friday 30 January 2009 3.44pm
Being arrested and detained, or even just threatened by police is naturally very stressing (and intended to be), try not let it get you down.

(And IMO any faith in police is misplaced. It can and increasingly does happen to anyone).

b
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: