Missing beggars Waterloo

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 31 January 2009 12.58pm
well somehow the abundance of beggars have disapeared..almost ovenight..from waterloo..
how do they perform such an act..
where do they all go...?

it certainly woorked but how did they do it

perhaps they can work it on alll the peoplee that insist on drinking outside pubs when they dont even smoke or people that dont say excuse me when they want to get off a bus when you are sat next to you..window side!

was derren brown involved???
Saturday 31 January 2009 2.35pm
I believe the Southwark and Lambeth rough sleepers team have been doing work in Waterloo.
Sunday 1 February 2009 9.23am
Perhaps they've put a free bar and restaurant, plasma tv and Japanese style sleeping arrangements inside St Johns Church?
Sunday 1 February 2009 10.06am
Could it not be to do with the terrible events at Partnership House last week...
Sunday 1 February 2009 11.12am
Actualy, that's probably right, and makes more sense, as the police will have been speaking to a lot of rough sleepers, which will have probably spooked people.
Sunday 1 February 2009 11.22am
That, and the dispersal zone Lambeth have implemented.
(see here)
Sunday 1 February 2009 11.26am
People are still drinking outside the church on Webber Street, and didn't apper to be affected by the dispersal zone, but I haven't gone past there in the last few days, so maybe they have also gone as well.
Sunday 1 February 2009 12.14pm
Written answer to a member's question from last week's full meeting of Lambeth Council

Cllr Lorna Campbell wrote:
Can the Cabinet Member give an update on how we are addressing the problem of rough sleepers around the area of Waterloo?

Cllr Donatus Anyanwu - Cabinet Member for Safer and Stronger Communities wrote:
Throughout most of 2008, rough sleeping increased in Waterloo primarily due to an increase in Eastern European national's [sic] (known as A10's), who do not have access to public funds. This means that we cannot place them in our hostels as the criteria for any individual is that they must be able to claim benefits. Also, there was one particular location known as Elizabeth House off York Road (Owned by Euro star) where these individuals were rough sleeping. As the land did not belong to Lambeth, we had to liaise with the owners, who in the beginning were reluctant to take any action to design out and use legal powers to remove such individuals. When the land owners did finally take action, the group of individuals (between 15-20 in number) were displaced to other areas of Waterloo.
This Labour Administration remains committed to finding a sustainable solution to the problem of rough sleeping. This means using adequate powers to displace rough sleepers supported by the right outreach work to get the homeless off the street permanently.

I am pleased that the Labour Administration, in conjunction with partners, successfully implemented a dispersal zone to allow problematic individuals to be moved but this will only be one in a series of measures that will allow us to tackle the problem head on and find a solution which will help to make local residents feel safer as well protect those who are vulnerable and homeless.

I will constantly review our approach both at an operational and strategic level but I am confidant that the right mix is in place to reach our target.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: