Floors

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 2 February 2009 12.49pm
Hi, Can anybody recommend anybody who could fix my living room floor? Its floorboards and they are very creaky and need securing, i want to put a carpet down but don't want to put it over a 'dodgy' floor!
thanks
Monday 2 February 2009 2.51pm
Go buy a big bag of CUTS (old fashion flat nails) from proper DIY store,
Nail the boards down at the edges, so-as not to puncture any pipes or cables, then hammer away all day, anchoring them to the joists.
Then... nail hardboard over the secured boards (shiny side up), using annular nails (with rings around them, so they don't pop up ) , at a distance of 2 or 3 inches from each other all over, (about 10 nails per square foot) but check the noise the board makes with a hammer tap, if it's loose it will sound 'hollow' so bury another nail into the board. This will be tedious, boring & noisy so play loud rock music, and hammer in time to the rhythm.
Now, with secure floor boards, and nailed down hardboard, you're ready for a layer of news paper before you lay any underlay, then the carpet. It's all in the preparation, Belief me, this is the way to do it, Unless you want to upgrade to 3 layer ply-board instead of hardboard.
or
Call Ritchie on 07515510653 or Stuart 07956470379, they love spending a day on their knees making themselves deaf with the noise of banging - they might even have a nail gun, which will speed things along a little.
Monday 2 February 2009 3.57pm
Blimin Graham, thanks for the reply, very comprehensive. Would do it myself but after years of DIY (and falling through ceilings) I think i might give Ritchie or Stuart a ring.
Thanks again

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: