Southwark Cleaning crew asleep

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 5 February 2009 1.23pm
If you're wondering why your bins haven't been cleared I have found one reason! I witnessed (and have a time stamped photo) a Southwark Cleaning refuse van with a two man crew fast asleep at the side of Harper Road at 11.25 am today! I stayed around five minutes but they didn't stir...I'll try and send photo to someone in the council.
Thursday 5 February 2009 2.26pm
I work for another London Borough and from what I've been told, all cleaning/ maintenance staff have been pulled off their usual tasks to assist with nightly road gritting and ice clearing... which is why the bins haven't been cleared.

Perhaps they had stopped for something on their way home after a long night clearing the roads? It's plausable...
Thursday 5 February 2009 3.03pm
Could be Gwynaethva, but I doubt that sleeping at the side of a road is the best way of inspiring confidence in the council tax payer. I would have expected them to go back to the depot for a sleep. They both had their eyes shut, one lying down, the other leaning against his door, for the whole of the five minutes I was in the area. Perhaps overtime was the motivation?
Thursday 5 February 2009 4.08pm
That's curious... was it definitely Harper Road? Only I saw the very same sight at the side of Falmouth Road (just round the corner from Harper Road) at about 8:45 this morning.
Thursday 5 February 2009 5.49pm
Might refuse trucks be fitted with tachometers??
Friday 6 February 2009 11.26am
The refuse guys have been helping out with the gritting and working nights....whilst it might not look good they have been doing their best IMHO and this wont endear them to the public or vice versa. Maybe we shouldn't be moaning about this.
Friday 6 February 2009 12.16pm
I purposely didn't identify the men by publishing the picture here without checking why they would be asleep. I would have thought it safer and more logical to return to the depot to rest. I'm sure we're all appreciative of the gritting where it occurred, and I hope they got a good rest, in their own time of course.
Friday 6 February 2009 12.19pm
I suspect people would also complain if they potentially wasted time/fuel/money returning to base just for PR reasons ...

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 6 February 2009 1.05pm
Southwark council wasting time/fuel/money, an outrageous suggestion James. TFIC.
Friday 6 February 2009 4.59pm
What a horrid attitude to people who've been working hard trying to collect refuse in icy conditions or gritting.

Not in many boroughs have they been gritting by hand at night (I could scarcely believe my eyes the other night) - bravo to them.

If your bin is fill, take it to the tip, it is 0.5 miles away! off the north end of the Walworth Rd. To be snooping around taking photos in the daytime on a weekday suggests a lot of free time.

This was the worst snow in 18 years and councils don't keep staff/vehicles to resource this precisely because they would be unused 9 out of 10 winters.

Reporting them is spiteful and pointless. They have not wasted any significant time or resource (they probably worked unpaid overtime besides) and to haul them up on a technicality would need time and money spent on executives reviewing / disciplining / firing / hiring.

It's a private contractor anyway.

Expecing 100% efficiency 100% of the time from any service will only make a grumpy old man.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: