Moving to Shad Thames

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 5 February 2009 10.11pm
My husband and I are contemplating moving to the Shad Thames area this summer. I'm really concerned about safety...been living rurally for quite a while. Is this a safe place to move to in London? If not, are there any other suggestions...
Friday 6 February 2009 10.27am
You will hear the occassional story about the odd mugging (been posts on here lately about Ocado and the like not delivering late into the evening), but having lived in London for 15 years, this part of town is in my view as safe as one could wish it to be (and i have lived in a few other central locations too) in a buzzing, vibrant metropolis. Good flow of tourists and office workers, plus many locals, make a vibrant, healthy, and overall very safe mix.
Friday 6 February 2009 11.48am
That's my experience too after 15 years. Take care about noise issues when choosing an apartment including deliveries.
Friday 6 February 2009 2.53pm
We live just down from Shad Thames and have never had a problem with safety around here. There are the occasional group of young drunkards but never been a problem.

My only advice is if walking home alone from the tube, it can be better off to get off at London Bridge and walk down from there along the river (it's always busy) rather than from Bermondsey. Or just get a cab.
Friday 6 February 2009 10.44pm
I think living in the City is always going to present a different set of security issues vs. the country, irrespective of where you live. Walk alone down a dark street, leave your car unlocked or front door open and you will be asking for trouble - irrespective of whether you live in Mayfair or Peckham.

Having said that, Shad Thames is one of the more safer neighbourhoods in London. It is quiet and self-contained but has enough tourist-traffic and local residents to avoid it becoming too quiet at night. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Zoe
Saturday 7 February 2009 8.30am
When I have a holiday in the countryside I always find it difficult when I come back to London. I find it loud, dirty and chaotic at first, and that's only after a week or two away.

I think moving from a rural area to London will always be difficult, but Shad Thames is a good area to go to if you want to live centrally, otherwise, go much further out, so you see some green everyday.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: