Borough Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 6 February 2009 3.53pm
Someone told me that the trustees of Borough Market are doubling the rents on the stalls and anyone who doesn't like it can go.
Friday 6 February 2009 5.34pm
I wouldn't be surprised, given the glitzy glass building that is supposed to replace the current market, and given the experience of the guy who was running the tea room. Sad.
Saturday 7 February 2009 3.56pm
What will the new roof look like, much the same as the present one I hope.and if the stall holders go who will replace them.

may be there is some horrible plan to replace stalls with upmarket restaurants.

Mind you I always feel it could do with more seating.
Saturday 7 February 2009 6.52pm
Here's a story from London-SE1 with a picture of how it's going to look:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2437

I noticed today that more buildings are now boarded up.
Saturday 7 February 2009 8.52pm
mickysalt wrote:
may be there is some horrible plan to replace stalls with upmarket restaurants.

Surely better than if the plan was to replace them with downmarket restaurants.

Anyway, it aint gonna happen.
Saturday 7 February 2009 10.25pm
I meant the part of the roof that will be removed along stony St.
Sunday 8 February 2009 8.44am
the shops that have gone added nothing special to the area. hopefully the new new market area will. as for the "horrible plan" for upmarket restaurants i too think the alternative (down market restaurants) is too awful to contemplate. borough high st already has its fair share of chicken cottage-type fast food joints and the the cornish pasty place is an eyesore. does Nandos count as down-market?? if so keep it away!
Sunday 8 February 2009 9.18am
I wonder if the trend toward the stallholders offering more takeaway food will continue? As it is, it's almost impossible on Saturday actually to shop for food to cook, as it's so difficult to make one's way through the hordes of people walking around eating and taking photographs.
Sunday 8 February 2009 10.24am
boroughpaul wrote:
the shops that have gone added nothing special to the area.
Alternatively one might argue that opticians, hairdressers etc are actually quite important parts of the fabric of a local community!

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 8 February 2009 10.52am
true but i imagined they had bee relocated/compensated. the corner fish and chip shop did great chips!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: