The Club & Spa at County Hall

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
HenvY Sunday 8 February 2009 9.51pm
Anyone a member here? Love/Hate? Worth the money? I couldn't find much about it by searching through the forums.
NK Monday 9 February 2009 9.21am
I once went there for a free trial day. It was lovely. Up to the minute gym, pool v nice, sauna good.
I didn't join cos I have a gym at work.
connie Monday 9 February 2009 10.43am
I have been a member for a year. What I like is that it is on the top floor of the County Hall with lots of natural light, unlike most gyms located in grotty basements. The swimming pool is very nice (25m x5m)and you can regularly find yourself swimming alone. But to me, it is often too cold (27 or 28 degrees C), I like it warmer than that. As there is only one studio, the choice of classes is limited (spinning, total body conditioning, pilates, yoga, step, dance...)but it suits me and I go to a different class everyday. What I really value is that there are max 8 to 10 people attending classes.
There is also a large room overlooking the London Eye with lots of machines (which I never use myself). So you can have you own program and get on with it.
The changing rooms have a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi, which have a tendency to break down regularly but are also fixed quickly. It is very quiet, especially at the weekends but can get a little busy with hens parties enjoying a spa day in the spring. Given the price (from 85 to 125/month), there are not so many young people. Most members work for companies located around Waterloo/Westminster or are SE1 residents (who enjoy a discount rate), hotels guests and the occasional celebrity. In summary, I like it because it is not busy and people don't take themselves too seriously.
The price is not cheap but there is no contract and you can suspend it. You can also use all the other Marriott hotels leisure centres in the UK, although I have never used any other one. Another advantage is you get 20% off their restaurants (I took family/friends for tea in their impressive restaurant/library overlooking Big Ben and the London Eye...).
HenvY Monday 9 February 2009 7.24pm
Thanks a lot connie, that was really helpful. Can you tell me more about the discount for SE1 residents? I got quoted the prices today and that wasn't mentioned. :)
graham Tuesday 10 February 2009 12.47am
yes, go on, sounds like money well spent....
connie Tuesday 10 February 2009 11.56am
When I joined last year, the rates were 110 for normal membership, 95 if you lived in SE1 and 85 for an off-peak membership. As I joined with my partner, we enjoyed a special price of 85/month each. I am not sure how the rates have increased since but it can't be so much. You can call them to have a look at the facilities. My advice: do not enquire directly through their website, it does not actually reach them.
piscesguy Friday 16 September 2011 1.15pm
Been a member for over a year and have found the staff to be genuinely friendly and a superb location, the facilities are impressive, and the hours are good. However there is an ongoing problem with things not working and often not all facilities are working at same time. More recently problems with the bathroom door handles and locker doors not functioning properly. Lockers Keys not having safety pins to attach to clothing give the impression of gradual detraction in standards. To top it all Prices have increased lately so I am going to be an ex member.
Julia7239 Saturday 17 September 2011 9.43am
This is news to me. I'm a member and have heard nothing about prices rising. Please can you provide more details and I'll check with the club.

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions