Birthday lunch

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
TAK
Tuesday 10 February 2009 2.18am
It's my birthday on Saturday and I'm planning to take a friend out for lunch.

Would anyone know of a great restaurant, which ideally is relaxed, laid back, maybe trendy without trying to be, and the space something along the lines of a converted warehouse or in general an unusual space.....
Places I like outside se1 are for example Smiths of Smithfields, Bistrotheque, Wapping Project....surely there must be something along those lines (but even better) in this wonderful neighbourhood.
In terms of food we pretty much eat any cuisine.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Thomas
W&D
Tuesday 10 February 2009 3.31pm
A couple of idea which spring to mind:

Bangalore Express, directly opposite Waterloo Station. This is an excellent modern Indian with a clean, modern design: what made me think of it is that it has about 10 booths in a double-decker format along one wall. This means you can have a booth set directly above another, with a ladder which the waiters will climb (with food in one hand and drinks in the other!) to serve you. A gimmick, maybe, but it's a fun one and the food more than lives up to its promise.

The Table (Southwark St, opposite the Blue Fin building): informal restaurant attached to the next-door architects' practice. Cafeteria-style service and dishes (beef bourguignon, lasagne etc.), but to my mind excellent, honest food and good value for money.

The other option - if rather pricier - is Roast in Borough Market. Roast has been well covered elsewhere on this forum, but I love the room and it's a great view over Borough Market on a Saturday lunchtime.
Tuesday 10 February 2009 5.41pm
try a new restaurant called "Brasserie Toulouse Lautrec" it used to be an old pub. No longer does it look like a pub, it has a wine bar, and has a baby grand piano one the first floor. I went for a evening there, loved it. Went there on a Monday evening, not the busiest of nights, yet there was still live music.

the menu changes daily, and it has a beautiful well lit smoking area. Worth checking it out.
Tuesday 10 February 2009 5.47pm
Er, Nolan - it's against the law to pretend to be a customer of your own business. And not very clever when you've previously posted on the forum explaining that you co-own the restaurant...

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 10 February 2009 6.45pm
I really like The Table too.
jw
Tuesday 10 February 2009 8.40pm
The table is nice but nothing like Smiths or the Wapping Project.

I don't think there's much around here like that.

The table has more of a canteen feel - shared tables etc..

I would avoid the Bangalore Express, the interesting booths don't make up for the average food in my opinion.

Waterloo Bar and Kitchen? went again recently and enjoyed it and it has more of an open feel to it.
Tuesday 10 February 2009 8.40pm
I think the Garrison Pub in Bermondsey would fit your description.

Tuesday 10 February 2009 8.55pm
There is Blueprint Café in the Design Museum at Shad Thames - not a great interieur, but the food is good and the view - Tower Bridge to Canary Wharf - is definitely worth a visit!
I also have Baltic in Blackfriars road on my list of places to visit - from what I read, this could meet your requirements (brick walls...). However I haven't spoken to anyone who has already been there. Maybe someone in the forum can share his/her experiences ...??
Tuesday 10 February 2009 9.05pm
LisaJ wrote:
I also have Baltic in Blackfriars road on my list of places to visit - from what I read, this could meet your requirements (brick walls...). However I haven't spoken to anyone who has already been there. Maybe someone in the forum can share his/her experiences ...??

The Baltic is one of my favourites. It has an excellent Eastern European menu, a funky (but small) bar area, a light and airy dining area and a vast selection of vodkas - just in case the lunch turns into an evening session. ;-)

Highly recommended.

Tuesday 10 February 2009 10.01pm
I second, or is that third, the Baltic. it has that airy New York loft feel and it's staff are great. The most real "loft" restaurant in the area would be Delfina on Bermondsey Street, but it's only open weekday lunches and Friday evening. Great fusion cooking in an art gallery space.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: