Walking tours in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 15 February 2009 4.50pm
Apologies if this has already been discussed (please direct me to the relevant thread).

I'm looking for a walking tour in SE1. Nothing in specific, although more likely in the northern bit closer to the river.

I've lived in SE1 for 5 years, and I walk along bankside, etc frequently, but I'd be interested in taking something guided with an interesting mix of an engaging guide, history, architecture and tourism.

Any suggestions? Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.

Chris
Sunday 15 February 2009 5.02pm
Orginal London Walks - http://www.walks.com - offer some commercial walking tours which cover this area.

Look out for the next Walk London weekend of free TfL/Mayor-funded walks at the end of May. There's usually a couple in SE1.

Local writer John Constable sometimes puts on local walks in the summer and autumn based on the chapters of his Secret Bankside book.

Keep an eye on
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/types/guided-walks
where we list special walking tours (as opposed to the regular scheduled tourist walks) as and when they are put on.

We also flag them up in our weekly email and monthly printed publication.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 16 February 2009 7.55am
Hi James -

This is perfect, thank you. (Clearly I have been living with my head in the sand!!)

Looking forward to joining on of the local tours. Also happy to support Mr Constable - very happy to do self-guided, so I'll look into a copy of his book.

Incidentally, I've been on a few walks.com all around London. They are really good - very spirited and knowledgeable guides. The pubs walks are especially spirited! :-)

Chris
Monday 16 February 2009 11.39am
Hi Chris

The organsiation I work for offer two free tours of the area.

One is a 90 minute audio tour that you have to download to an MP3 player from the website www.discoverlondonbridge.com

Alternatively we offer an 'Introduction to London Bridge' walking tour, led by ace Blue Badge guide Alan Read. These are aimed at people who have just started working in the area but you'd be more than welcome to join in. The next two are 25 March and 13 May, 6pm to approx 7.30pm. We'll add more to the Team London Bridge website later in the year. You need to register in advance for the walking tours as numbers are limited.

Hope that helps.
Monday 16 February 2009 7.17pm
Check this out:

http://www.tabardgardens.org/index.php/ttrameetings/80-beating-the-bounds-of-tabard-gardens-estate

The local Tenants and Residents Association is hosting free historical walks of the area. Limited time only.
Monday 16 February 2009 7.22pm
Those walks were all last month.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 16 February 2009 10.05pm
oops, thought it was monthly.

A presentation will be made by the organiser on Tuesday 24th Feb at Hankey Hall (location on the poster at the above link), 7pm i think
Tuesday 17 February 2009 8.59pm
My website www.london-footprints.co.uk has instructions and notes for self-guided walks in all parts of London - all free.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: