Dog mess, Monnow Road: Direct Action

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 16 February 2009 9.27am
A number of us are getting fed up with the dog walkers who allow their dogs to mess on this street, and don't clean up after themselves - its becoming a real problem - probably because its a fairly quiet street.

Essentially, we are annoyed:

* we cant walk home in the dark without treading in it (and therefore into our homes); and

* there is a school on the road - as you may know - if a child falls in it or somehow gets it in their eyes, this can cause blindness.

The ample street signs and floor signs threatening fines do not seem to help.

A number of us are considering taking pictures of the offenders and reporting them or delivering the waste back to their doorsteps (in the first instance) or through the letterbox (if they still fail to clean up after their dogs)

Please warn people you know who are doing this. The more outraged members of the community want us to take the dogs away from the owners who fail to clean up - but this is not something I would condone.

We are also looking for 'helpers' to patrol the street for an hour or so over the next few weeks.
Monday 16 February 2009 11.07am
I can understand your anger but I really wouldn't do anything with the mess if I were you.
The photo idea is better. Video would be better still. If the police can't be bothered/don't know where the street is/are too busy beating people up then maybe ask at Citizens Advice or try your MP.
Monday 16 February 2009 11.10am
How about arranging a Flag the Poo event?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 16 February 2009 11.37am
beetroot wrote:
I can understand your anger but I really wouldn't do anything with the mess if I were you.
The photo idea is better. Video would be better still. If the police can't be bothered/don't know where the street is/are too busy beating people up then maybe ask at Citizens Advice or try your MP.

Dog poo is hardly a priority for the police, at least i hope not. I would rather they were dealing with crime than irresponsible dog owners. Surely this is more a matter for the council, who's responsibility is keeping the streets clean.

I would be wary about the transferring of poo to offenders door steps/letter boxes as i suspect that could put you on the wrong side of the law. A flag the poo event might be a better start and help embarrass the council into taking action
Monday 16 February 2009 11.40am
Since it is likely to be down to a handful of repeat offenders, it should just be a case of local residents identifying what time of day they walk their dogs, then a couple of PCSOs standing around to give them fixed penalty tickets.
Monday 16 February 2009 11.46am
Have you contacted the Bermondsey community wardens?
http://www.safersouthwark.org.uk/Category.asp?cat=919

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 16 February 2009 12.01pm
southwark used to have a special team of poop scoopers.phone and ask for dog mess cleaners.
Monday 16 February 2009 12.53pm
When I worked in Paris, I used to see these white and green motorbikes all over the pavements, and at first it really cheesed me off. Until I realized that they were the cities pooper scoopers. They had two tanks on the side and nozzels that went down to the pavement to remove the offending items. Parisians love their dogs, are generally far to cool to pick up the poo, but seemed content to pay for these bikes. They worked a treat. Never trod in dog poo once, and I lived in the 14th, generally regarded as one of the less chi-chi areas.
Monday 16 February 2009 1.28pm
When I visited a friend in Paris I was shocked at how much dog poo there was on the pavements. Maybe they didn't have the cleaners then. My friend said any politician promising to make it illegal to leave poo on the pavement wouldn't be elected.
Its illegal here and if you can get evidence you can push for a prosecution. Government advice.
Monday 16 February 2009 2.55pm
Yes, I saw a ton of it when I was in Paris in January. I don't see much here, but I do notice a lot of those poles with bag containers around.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network