Waterloo house featured on Channel 4 'Grand Designs'

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Thursday 22 January 2004 10.16pm
What an impressive house - costing 1.2 million to build. Next door to the London Festival Orchestra, who objected to the type of brick used in the party wall....should have been London stock brick, apparently. The house was built where an old violin factory had been.

I'm wondering if it was worth the 1.2 million - I'd imagine many people would prefer to have a little bit of outdoor space if they are spending that sort of money...

The gas cooker cost 34K - but doesn't work properly... I couldn't sleep if I spent that amount on a domestic appliance - even if I had millions to spend!

Anyway - if any of the forum contributors are the owners of that house - well done!
Friday 23 January 2004 12.06am
At the end they said planning permission for the type of brick used had been refused and the wall had to be taken down. They are now appealing the decision. Hope we get to hear the result.
The orchestra people next door seemed to be behaving in a very vindictive way. They objected every step of the way.
Still, I bet the house will be sold at a profit very soon. It did look a bit clinical and cold to me. One of the builders said it looked like a prison.
And that gas cooker was ludicrously big for domestic use. Most restaurants don't have a monster like that.
Friday 23 January 2004 1.16am
I've moved this into the SE1 discussion section as it's most certainly of local interest. And I've shortened the subject line a bit - hope that's OK Deirdre.

Very glad you've started a thread about this programme as I saw it too. I'd like to run a news story/feature on the programme and the planning dispute.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 23 January 2004 8.16am
Milko for mayor!

Friday 23 January 2004 9.32am
I was gobsmaked that such a huge space was once a 'violin factory' - it's news to me that violins were mass produced - but I've lead a sheltered life.

Grand Designs is the best of the property related shows [though the one with Sarah Beeney is also entertaining. I love it when they ignore her good advice but she retains that polite but quizzical smile that seems to mean 'why did you ask me in the first place?'
Friday 23 January 2004 10.27am
Sarah Beeny is gorgeous.....
Friday 23 January 2004 10.37am
yes..I have heard that the audience for the programme consists of a swelling proportion of males who have no interest whatsoever in property matters......
Friday 23 January 2004 10.44am
Lol, Sarah is lovely, but I actually do watch it for the topic, not the presenter!

I also get really frustrated when people ignore her advice! Arrgghh! Would you pay a solicitor for advice and then ignore it?! No! So don't ignore my Sarah's advice! :)

*phew* Rant over......
Friday 23 January 2004 10.56am
jane - it is true - I am part of the rapidly swelling Sarah Beanie fan club - and it not just her presenterly qualities but also her facility with pipes and joists we admire.

There is something about a woman who can re-wire a house that just makes us go all weak at the knees...

(on a less fevered note - the whole programme is predicated upon the tension between the erudite Ms B and the grasping newbie developer - you will, I suspect, never see one where they just take her advice, it would be simply boring).

Post edited (23 Jan 04 10:56)
Friday 23 January 2004 10.59am
True true - it does make good viewing. And I get to shout at the telly!

Sarah is very good with her hands too, so to speak. :)
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: