Long Lane closed next 5 weekends

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 18 February 2009 4.44pm
just to let you konw that Thames water will be working on Long Lane for the next weekends and it will be closed between Bermondsey Street and Weston Street on Saturdays between 9 and 5 and sundays 10-4 -access will be available to those living in this part of Long Lane
Wednesday 18 February 2009 5.13pm
Thanks, dee dee. Just as I was thinking how nice it was to have Long Lane back to 'normal'. Now all we need to know is where will the C10 be going........
Monday 23 March 2009 1.00pm
can anyone tell me why they keep leaving Long Lane shut on a Sunday afternoon-they finish working at lunch time and go but just leave the barriers up keeping the road closed till someone comes along after 5 pm and takes the barriers away.

this weekend was chaos as it was with Tooley street closed and traffic being directed to Long Lane instead.
Zoe
Monday 23 March 2009 9.50pm
I got caught in this on a return trip from the vet on Sunday, OKR seemed to be really busy, so I went for Long Lane, then by Guys H, which was also closed, I was beginning to despair of ever getting home. My dog, however, really enjoyed her little tour.
Tuesday 24 March 2009 1.45pm
do you think work will ever be done in this area. what with the water works, all the apartments going up on bermondsey street and the london bridge building works it feels pretty claustrophobic like you just can't get away from warning signs and drilling
Tuesday 24 March 2009 2.29pm
Traffic in the whole area is a nightmare...especially since St Thomas street was closed (in a Westerly direction for building The Shard. Traffic is now heading down all the small roads in the area which really are not suitable for anything but small vehicles. Last week I was nearly run down crossing Leathermarket Street by some Michael Schummacher wannerbe white van driver. 20mph zones do not work if they are not policed....and they are not...so they are pointless. Maybe a few more road closings or 1 way roads to deter through traffic would help.
Tuesday 24 March 2009 9.25pm
In fact the closure of Long Lane is not properly authorised. The Council's public notice says that they are allowed to stop traffic on Long Lane between Weston St and Tower Bridge Road. Of course, Long Lane does not go to Tower Bridge Road - the last bit is actually Abbey Street! (There is a copy on the Watch-House, right beside the Abbey Street sign)

Also the notice says nothing about completely blocking the end of the southern part of Bermondsey Street. I think they just decide what they want to do and pay lip service to the official permission, while the Council let them do whatever they want...

When you add in the crane removal the other week, and the traffic lights in Tanner Street, you do start to wonder if there is some sort of plot

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: