Recycling

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Simon Edge Friday 23 January 2004 10.51am
Is there any limit to the crapness of Southwark Council when it comes to recycling?
In the absence of a doorstep bottle collection, I have just struggled down Blackfriars Road with two plastic bags full of empty bottles - only to discover that the bottle banks have disappeared.
In the past, the council has found these bottle banks hard to manage. The recycling bins have been frequently full to overflowing. People have understandably left their bottles next to the bins - only for the council will completely ignore them when it finally gets around to emptying the bins.
The solution? One idea would be to empty the bottle banks more often. It's hardly rocket science. But not Southwark Council - their wheeze seems to be to abolish the bottle banks altogether.
Does it make anyone else want to weep?

Advertisement

James Friday 23 January 2004 11.22am
Yeah - me. As a commuter, I see hundreds of people reading their Metro every day. However, I do not see one paper recycling bank along the key commuting routes.

I did see, however, a stack of about 5 or 6 Metro papers on the top of a bin today. All which could have been recycled...
Jan Lane Friday 23 January 2004 12.55pm
Where I am working polystyrene cups...must be thousand a day..

jan
rach Monday 26 January 2004 9.34am
Some time in around September, when I was unemployed, someone came round on behalf of Southwark council with a questionnaire about recycling facilities. I gave the guy a long spiel about how we could really do with recycling facilities on the estate, and possibly doorstep collection etc etc. About a month or so later, recycling bins appeared right outside our block. This was a good thing I thought, although plastics recycling was notably absent. However it did strike me at the time that Southwark Council's method of data collection will only gather the opinions of people who happen to around in the daytime, and, that if I had started my new job then, I would never have been able to register my opinion on this matter.

On a slightly different note, I have been stockpiling old batteries as I have been unable to find somewhere to recycle them. Does anyone know of anywhere this might be possible?
maurits Monday 26 January 2004 10.11am
Rach, I have asked the same question a couple of months ago here and there is no facility to recycle batteries in the UK....sadly...if ever on the continent you can easily dispose of them there.
fedora Monday 26 January 2004 10.21am
Southwark life magazine (the council mag) says there are plans to introduce a new recycling scheme with 250 'recycling centres' across the whole borough by April, but they don't say where the new bins etc will be placed.
rach Monday 26 January 2004 10.39am
thanks maurits -- I'm still reluctant to just chuck them out!
A few years ago I lived in Spain and the owner of the cosmetics shop I lived opposite kept a box outside that you could put your old batteries in for recycling. Now I come to think about it that was about the last place I was able to recycle batteries.
I could save them until I go abroad but I'll probably get held under the terrorism act when customs open a suitcase full of batteries :-(

Fedora, the chap who came round with the questionnaire mentioned plans for 1 big recycling site in some old gasworks off the Old Kent Road. I did point out that it wasn't exactly convenient for non car users (which I presume many eco-friendly recyclers might be!)
Harry Monday 26 January 2004 11.44am
I recently spotted my girlfriend checking out the locations of recycling dumps in southwark online. Not sure where the page is but it seemed pretty comprehensive and certainly (in our experience) accurate. Of course this only works if it's kept up to date.

I did once ask Southwark where I could recycle plastic bottle only to be told that it's not cost effective. Maybe if they were german or spanish bottles eh?

Here you are:
click here

also:

http://www.southwarkdirect.co.uk/OurServices/yourhome/RecyclingPages/

Apparently if you live in a street (as opposed to flats i assume) you can get stuff picked up for free.

Post edited (26 Jan 04 14:58)
Links edited by JH
Simon Edge Friday 30 January 2004 4.52pm
Another instalment in the comedy that is Southwark Recycling.

Last week we put our box out on the correct day. The council came round, leaving the paraphernalia of its new system: a bag for papers and a divider to put in the box for bottles and cans.

They left all this on top of the recycling box - which they didn't bother to empty. We now have to store a month's worth of newspapers, on the off-chance the council will bother to pick them up in two weeks' time.
The Lady Miss Jo Jo Friday 30 January 2004 11.32pm
In "Southwark Life" there was a huge 2 page spread about their recycling facilities, and how good they are now...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions